t h i r t y ~ e i g h t

(unedited)
Olivia

"Shoe size?"

I smile at the worker, "Seven and a half in women's and I also need a men's size...hold on just a moment, it's in my phone."

I dig for my phone in my tote purse. There are too many crumbs at the bottom, I don't even put food in here where did they come from? I didn't know Phantom crumbs were a thing?!

I finally grip the familiar rectangular device and pull it out, quickly opening the text conversation and reading it aloud, "A men's thirteen, holy shit!"

My eyes widen and I look to the worker, "I'm so sorry, I was just surprised."

The woman laughs at me and shakes her head, "You're fine, I'll be right back."

She walks away and I look to the doors just in time to catch Maria and the boy she invited get out of their car. I wave at them and they smile, returning my greeting albeit a little shyly.

Maria's adorable, getting all flustered. So out of character for her, I love it.

The guy opens the door for her and she comes bounding in, laughing, "Where's Rowan? You look so lonely standing in here all by yourself."

I pout and shove my phone in my pocket, "He worked late at the gallery. He just left so he'll meet us here in ten minutes."

Maria nods and bumps into me, linking her arm with mine. "When's your last day of classes. Mine was today."

"Well mine was yesterday," I laugh at her exasperated face and glance over my shoulder at Maria's...boyfriend? Fuck buddy?

He's almost as tall as Rowan, he's blonde and is built like a swimmer. Glasses...that's unexpected.

I mean, Rowan wears them too but only when he's drawing or painting.

Maria's type has always been bad boy aesthetic, rugged football players. Like Bronson. Or Ty.

The worker comes back and hands me the pairs of skates and I turn around to introduce myself while Maria gets their skates.

"I haven't believe we've officially met," I smile and hold out my free hand, "I'm Olivia, Maria's best friend slash the-only-one-who-can-handle-her-bullshit...until now."

He flashes a sleepy, boyish grin, "I'm Aiden. Maria's boyfriend."

A smile cracks my face, "Ouuu, so it's true then?" I slowly turn to Maria.

"No, he's not, w-we're not—"

"I'm her boyfriend," Aiden cuts her off, his smile still perfectly in place.

Maria shuts her mouth, a bright blush coating her cheeks. The blue color of her hair and the pink of her face reminds me of cotton candy.

I chuckle, "I like you already." I fist bump Aiden and Maria rolls her eyes.

I'm grinning like a fool the whole way down the hall towards the rink, Maria sulking and ignoring Aiden. He doesn't seem to mind though, smiling at her and poking her puffed out cheeks in amusement.