t w e n t y

Olivia

I bite off another piece of my nail like my teeth are nail clippers.

"I don't think this is a good idea," I say, my leg bouncing as I watch the football team stream out of the gymnasium.

"Ollie, I'll be right here watching the whole time. You're safe," Rowan's voice is soft, rolling through me to attack all my tense nerves.

"Okay, I—" The moment I grip the door's handle to Rowan's truck I see Lucas's blonde hair reflect the sun as he saunters out of the gymnasium. He's not alone. A cheerleader with dirty blonde hair is clinging to his arm and he's smiling down at her with his hand around her waist.

I grit my teeth. Wow. He really doesn't hide it.

I practically race out of the truck, throwing the door open a little too hard. Rowan shouts something at me but I have tunnel vision, my eyes locked on my soon-to-be ex-boyfriend. I'll apologize to him later. I know I'm being too impulsive but I don't feel bad about what I'm going to do. A heartbroken girlfriend? No, I'm fucking pissed. I wasted two years of my life with stars in my eyes, blinded by his pretty face and bittersweet words. And fuck all the women who've snuck around with him behind my back. They have no excuses of not knowing he had a girlfriend. Everyone knows. Lucas made sure of that.

I can feel my veins shooting full of adrenaline as I get ten feet away from Lucas. He finally notices me and his eyes widen comically. He immediately shrugs off the woman on his arm and opens his mouth for another bullshit story to manipulate me with when I make contact with him. I slam my hands against his chest and shove him as hard as I can. He stumbles back, irritating confusion marking his face.

"Olivia, what are you—"

"Fuck you, Lucas. We're done, no break, no chance of getting back together. Leave me the fuck alone," I say, my voice level as I seethe the curse words.

I've said everything I need to so I turn my back to him, steeling my eyes on the asphalt in front of my feet. It's too damn early for this. I don't have any coursework or any plans, I should be in bed until the afternoon. But Rowan was insistent after Lucas blew up my phone with unwarranted texts and calls for a week and a half. I'm glad to have gotten this over with but he just had to be with a girl didn't he.

A painful squeeze pulses through my arm, halting me in my tracks. I release a yelp of pain when Lucas tightens his grip. I turn my glare onto him, "L-Let go!" I yank at my arm, using my other hand to try and dislodge myself from his hand by pulling at his wrist.

He lowers his voice, "Don't embarrass me." He glances at the cheerleader before continuing, "You're being irrational, let's go to my place and we can talk."

"No, I said let go."

"Come on Olivia. You know I love you, she was just asking me to help her study. Don't misunderstand-"
Lucas sputters to a stop and his eyes flick behind me.

"You wanna lose that hand, Lucas?"

Lucas blinks, "Did you come together?" He glares at me like I'm the one cheating, "How the fuck do you know him?"

Rowan grunts, his voice deep, "That's Irrelevant. Watch your tone."

"This doesn't concern you Vitali, turn and walk away while I'm being nice."