Book 1: Chapter 4

Outside the cafe Nikolai sat poised, like a warrior waiting to slay his opponent from the shadows. Next to him sat a woman with short black hair. Her lipstick and eye shadow were as dark as her shirt, and her trousers were torn at the knee, exposing colourful tattoos.

"How long do we need to wait here?" Tahlia asked.

Nikolai smiled. "Patience, my friend. The boy will come eventually."

She slumped back into her chair roughly.

"If you're bored, let us discuss life," he suggested.

"No, thank you," she said, afraid of having another meaningless discussion with her leader. She had endured listening to his inane philosophical banter during their time together and had grown quite proficient at smiling and nodding while not paying attention at all. Most topics were of no interest to her, while others were simply incomprehensible.

"Then quit acting like a child and sit still."

As the morning passed, more businessmen and women flooded the promenade of the district. Nikolai watched them intently, wondering how they could live such a lifestyle, something that he pondered often.

Another man slowly crept along and sat at the table next to Tahlia. He wore a dirty tuxedo and top hat. His thin moustache was dark against his pale skin, and his cheeks were smeared with streaks of dried mud. Several civilians stared curiously at the strangely dressed man.

Tahlia's face twisted with horror. "What is that disgusting smell?" she shrieked.

Nikolai glared at the man. "Night, have you been digging up those things again?"

A disturbing expression spread across Night's face as he smiled with enthusiasm.

"I told you not to do that!" Nikolai's voice boomed. "Those things are absolutely vile."

"You said you wanted me to train," he defended.

"Yes, on the living."

Night's body crunched as he lifted one leg and rested it awkwardly on the other. "Do you want me to leave?"

Nikolai let out a loud and disappointed moan. "No, I need you here. But you smell terrible."

The trio sat in silence at the table. Ying emerged from the cafe when she saw the newcomer, but turned and retreated upon stumbling into the decaying odour. A businesswoman nearby groaned with disgust as she walked past.

Nikolai gritted his teeth. "On second thought, this is absurd. You're drawing attention to us. Go and sit in the limousine until I come for you."

The odd man stood up and left without saying a word, hobbling back down the promenade. Tahlia giggled to herself.

"And just what do you find so amusing?" her superior demanded.

"You said that he's drawing attention to us because he smells bad. But the three of us sitting here, dressed like this, is not ... conspicuous."

"Inconspicuous," he corrected. "Your Alexan needs work."

Tahlia rolled her eyes, although unsurprised by yet another correction.

"Don't be like that," Nikolai said, catching sight of her expression. "I honestly don't know how you're not fluent in Alexan given your country's proximity."

"I am fluent," she muttered. "Forgive me if I don't know every word in your language. I don't suppose you're fluent in Rouvian?"

Nikolai grimaced, reluctant to admit defeat. He waited for several seconds before eventually breaking into a smile. "Very well. You make a fair point. I know some Rouvian, but hardly enough to hold a conversation."