Book 1: Chapter 17

"So what's the plan?" Tango asked, only half interested.

"According to the itinerary," Ren began, "the president is attending a meeting at East Tower at 8:00, and the Presidential Guard will be stationed there too." All of White Shadow knew that she was an expert hacker, and no one ever questioned how she managed to retrieve the information, despite how heavily encrypted or inaccessible it was.

"Which floor will he be on?"

"I'm not sure. The itinerary didn't say."

Tango rolled his eyes. "And how many of the Guard will be there?"

Ren narrowed her eyes at him and his incessant questions. "I didn't see. The itinerary was only open for a moment before the system locked me out."

Tango leaned forward in his chair and stared at his leader. "So all you know is that the president has a meeting at the tower tonight, but you don't know which floor or how many guards he'll have?"

"That's enough," Skye said, holding a hand up. "This is the best information we have. I want the president dead tonight."

"East Tower is quite sophisticated," Tango said, staring at the others around the table. "How are we going to break in there without being seen? Last time we went there it was during business hours."

"That's exactly what we're trying to figure out," Ren said. "So let's put our heads together and think of a plan."

"You're the genius. Why don't you think of one?" Tango suggested, his feet resting on the table. Tensions in the group had been high since Foxtrot was killed three months earlier. Tango and Echo continuously insisted that White Shadow concentrate their efforts on finding the Tianzu, but Ren had repeatedly told them that nullifying the threat Archie posed was their main priority.

"Tango," Skye sighed, "are we really going to do this again? Let's keep the arguing to once a day, please." He turned his attention back to Ren and the topic at hand. "East Tower is an office building. It should be vacant by then."

"Correct," Ren agreed. "According to its security system, all workers must be checked out by 6:30, and the entrance is then automatically armed at 7:00."

"Well I assume the system won't be armed if Archie and the Guard are going to be inside," Skye thought aloud.

"Most likely. But I'll monitor it from here anyway. If the entrance does arm itself, I'll do my best to shut it down. The same goes for the cameras."

"Should I come?" asked Juliet, sounding both frightened and excited by the adventurous prospect.

Skye and Ren exchanged glances, searching the other's eyes for their opinion. Juliet was usually restricted to the warehouse with either of the two assumed leaders. They both knew she was a potential threat for Nikolai, and therefore a target, but she'd be safe with either of them. Although neither stood a chance of defending themselves against Nikolai, they knew he'd never order an attempt on the girl's life in front of them out of respect for his former comrade and his former love.

"That depends on whether Black Dawn will be there or not," Skye said. "I don't imagine they would be, as Nikolai would have no knowledge of what's taking place tonight. Of course, knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to follow us."

"Doubtful. That'd be too easy for him," Ren said. "He likes a challenge. Stalking you is not exactly in accordance with his 'beliefs'." She turned to Juliet. "That being said, if Black Dawn are there we could benefit greatly from your telepathy, but it would also mean putting you directly in harm's way."

"I'm in danger either way," she protested. "I would really like to come."

"Let her come. She's probably sick of living in this prison, like the rest of us," suggested Tango, not necessarily caring for her well-being. He was usually a polite and caring man, but the recent events had scarred him deeply.