Book 1: Chapter 30

"This gear is so light," Romeo said to himself as he climbed out of the van. "Are you sure it's actually bulletproof?"

No one acknowledged him; they were far too invested in the mission ahead. They placed masks and vests over their faces and bodies.

Skye surveyed his surroundings. He prayed that Archibald Denning would be tonight's only victim. "Juliet, can you sense anyone nearby?"

She sat on the ground and closed her eyes. It helped her concentrate more when she was sitting. Her ability was helpful, but also far from fully developed, and it expended much of her energy. Skye assured her that with regular practise she would perfect it. "No. No one's here."

"... yet," Tango muttered.

"Link your comms," Skye ordered. The group selected the appropriate settings on their wrist comms. Skye grabbed Romeo's and configured it for him. "Can you hear us, Ren?"

"Loud and clear. What's your location?" Much like their wrist comms, Ren had disabled the van's satellite system to prevent it from being remotely tracked by the authorities.

"We're on Huang Jie, not far from the tower."

The van was parked idly in the shadows. They were on the southern edge of Shangwu, the bright glow from the skyscrapers illuminating the city before them. There was no one else in sight, but Romeo still peered around nervously, looking for any violent homeless civilians.

"So do we have a plan yet, boss?" Tango asked.

"We need to split up," Sierra chimed in before Ren could even speak. "Tahlia will already know we're here."

"Out of the question. You need to stay together."

"Absolutely," Skye agreed, not appreciating Sierra's bold suggestion. "Juliet just said Tahlia isn't here. It won't do us any good if you—" Before he finished his sentence, the woman had vanished into the night. Skye gritted his teeth underneath his mask.

"I think it's a good idea," Tango said, wishing to pursue his own endeavours.

"No splitting up!" Ren shouted through their headsets. "Stay together and go to the tower."

"Sierra's already gone." Skye paused and waited while Ren cursed under her breath. "Let's move," he ordered. He emerged from behind the trees and crossed the deserted street, walking north toward the tower. The others followed reluctantly.

Romeo's eyes darted left to right, frantically looking for any incoming threats. He wasn't sure if he was more afraid of other Athenians or Black Dawn.

"Relax," Echo said, opening his mouth for the first time that evening.

They pressed onwards, walking down the dimly lit road. The buildings on either side of them stretched upwards for hundreds of metres. Romeo gasped aloud as they walked past a man sitting in the dark, watching their every move.

"Don't worry about him," Skye said, not feeling threatened by the deranged derelict.

"Can we go down a brighter street?" Romeo asked, an edge of fear in his voice.

"We'll be fine. And this is the most direct route to the tower without being seen."

"It might also be the most direct route to the deaths of these two," Tango remarked, pointing to Juliet and Romeo.

"That's enough, Tango," Ren hissed. Skye bit his tongue, saying nothing. Romeo began to shake uncontrollably, as did Juliet.

"There's no sign of her," Sierra said, reappearing out of nowhere. "Ask the girl to find Tahlia."