Book 1: Chapter 5

Tango climbed the spiral staircase to the catwalk above. He stepped outside onto the steel balcony and saw Juliet sitting with her legs crossed. Her mind was in a deep trance, but she turned around as soon as she heard Tango's footsteps.

"Sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to disturb you."

"That's alright," she said happily. A young and vibrant woman of eighteen, she was always full of energy.

"Have you found anything?" he asked with curiosity.

"I'm not too sure. I think Nikolai is still in Shangwu, but it's hard to locate him. Tahlia might be there too, but their energy keeps fading. I'm doing my best, but it's difficult."

"I can imagine," Tango said, impressed with her telepathic abilities. "Don't push yourself too hard. You've come up here every morning lately."

"It's okay, I like sitting here. It's relaxing, and I think I'm getting stronger each week."

He smiled. "That's good to hear. You've come a long way. Just keep at it and you'll be as powerful as Skye and Sierra."

"How about you? Are you training this morning?"

Tango stretched his arms upwards and let out a soft yawn. "Maybe." He'd lost all enthusiasm since the death of his comrade three months earlier, usually spending his time lazing outside.

"You really should train," she said.

Tango shook his head upon hearing the suggestion. "Not you too. Everyone keeps insisting that I train today."

"Ren said that we all have to train."

"Yet Ren herself never trains. She wastes her time on her computer." He threw his hands up and turned around. "I'll train when I'm ready," he groaned, and walked back down the stairs.

Juliet sat, wondering why he was so easily offended. A caring individual, she only ever wished to help the others in White Shadow. She didn't appreciate being spoken to in such an irritable manner, especially when she only meant well.

"Juliet," Tango said, reappearing in the doorway, "I'm sorry. I'm just ..." he trailed off, unsure how to express himself.

She turned back around, giving him her attention. "What is it?" She was curious to know what was on his mind, despite already sensing his sadness.

"It's everything," he admitted. "Ever since Foxtrot was killed I've felt like a different person. I want to kill those who took my friend's life, but I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find them."

Juliet offered a soft smile, trying to empathise with him. "Is that why you don't want to train?"

"Partly. It's partly because I wonder if there's any use in training, and partly because I just don't know what's right anymore." He retreated down the stairs, the fatigue and defeat in his voice evident.

Juliet sat alone, concerned. Tango's words stayed with her. He spoke of revenge, much like Sierra, Ren, Skye, and Echo. Their group was one of righteousness, but their strange infatuation with killing in the name of peace made her wonder if she too would inevitably become more cold and heartless. Skye had warned her on several occasions that she needs to be careful in setting out her path in life; it did not seem to take much to become lost and soulless, like those who worked for Black Dawn.

She pushed the thought out of her mind, focussing outwards toward the city centre once again.

-----

Skye walked in through the back door of the warehouse, staring down at the long scratch on his mask. "That was too close. You need to be more careful."

"This is how we need to train," Sierra said as she walked in behind him. "We need to train intensively, or not at all."

"You're forgetting that you're the strongest one here. We can't train as intensively as you can."

Skye looked across to Ren, hoping that the assumed leader would share her input on the matter, but she was far too invested in her computer monitors. He decided against distracting her and turned away. Finding Archie was a far more pressing matter.

"Tahlia won't go easy on you," Sierra warned.

"Tahlia is your enemy; not mine." In truth, he considered Tahlia a very high threat, but didn't want to give Sierra another reason to prioritise killing Nikolai's lieutenant over the president.

"I'm going out to train," she said. A gust of wind blew out the back door with her as she ran off to the surrounding woodlands.

Skye exhaled with relief, pleased to have some time to himself. Training with her was invaluable, but she never settled for anything less than what she was capable of. He was the only one even remotely fast enough to train with her; the others would be slaughtered within seconds.

"Are you okay?" Ren asked without looking up, having overheard.

"I'm starting to regret giving her that crossbow." He walked over and sat on Ren's desk, showing her the carving from the bolt.

"Don't worry about her. I know she can be difficult to deal with, but she's a huge asset."

Skye sniggered. "I said the same thing to Tango less than an hour ago. I don't doubt that she might prove to be useful, but training with her can be a savage ordeal."

Ren looked away from the monitor and gave her attention to her friend. "Have your reflexes improved since we recruited her?"

He paused, knowing he had lost the debate before it had even begun. "I suppose they have."

Ren grinned back at him. "Then the training is worth it."

"Any luck?" Skye asked, looking at the monitors. He felt that enough time had elapsed since he last checked in with her to ask again.

"Not yet, but I'm not going to give up." Her hands slid across the keyboard screen, her fingers tapping the glowing buttons gracefully.

"Keep me posted. I'm going to speak with Juliet to see if she's sensed anything in Shangwu."

"I doubt it. Don't focus too much on Nikolai—we have far more important things to worry about right now."

Skye considered her suggestion and tried to take it on board, but he was unable to shake his concerns. "I'll try."

Love the story? It's free on Amazon! You can download it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFEPEL4