Book 1: Chapter 10

"He's leaving," Tango said. He sat perched on the roof of the two-storey building opposite, watching Nikolai as he left the restaurant and began to casually saunter down the promenade.

"Another one for us, I suppose," Skye said, sighing with relief. He sat next to his comrade and watched Roman through the window of the restaurant. Neither of them wore their masks out of fear they'd be spotted by civilians on the street below.

"Do you think that's one of them? Without Juliet here, I'm not sure."

"It has to be. Why else would Nikolai interrogate him?"

Tango stared in Roman's direction, who still sat frozen in his booth inside. "I thought he'd be one of the Tianzu, but he looks innocent enough. Still, are we sure we want to recruit him?"

Skye shot him a confused glance. "Of course we're sure. What's the alternative?"

Tango didn't answer the question. They both knew what Nikolai would want to do to the boy. It was merely a matter of when.

"Where's the other one that Juliet mentioned?" Tango asked curiously. "She said there were two in Shangwu."

"They're still there. I can sense them," Juliet said, her voice sounding through their headsets. Their comms were synchronised with one another in order for them to communicate freely. She remained back on her balcony in the warehouse, still monitoring the city for them.

"They could be anywhere," Skye said, knowing that Juliet's ability to track other elites was highly inaccurate, and especially from such a long distance away. "We shouldn't waste time. If it's one of the Tianzu, we need to leave. Let's just grab the boy and head home."

"Any sign of Tahlia?" Sierra's voice asked.

Tango let out an obvious groan. "No."

Skye stared at Nikolai, who continued walking at a leisurely pace, a pleased expression on his face. "What are you up to, Nikolai?"

"I wonder where he's going," Ren said. She too was back inside the warehouse, watching a live feed of the street on her set of monitors via the government's surveillance system.

Nikolai stopped walking. He turned his head and looked straight at the White Shadow duo from across the street. He offered Skye a respectful smile, as if to hold him in high regard.

The gesture was not returned as they watched on, but Nikolai wasn't phased by the scowl from his former friend. He resumed walking along with his beaming smile, weaving between the many businessmen and women on the bustling street.

"You'll have to beat me to him," Nikolai muttered to himself. He arrived at the end of the car-free zone and entered the rear door of a black limousine that was parked nearby.

Tango cocked his head to one side. "I didn't know he owned a limousine."

"He doesn't," Ren said. "Those are government plates."

Tango looked into the distance, but couldn't quite see what Ren saw, despite his evolved vision. "Why would he steal a government vehicle? Is it so he catches their attention? Is this his lazy way of trying to find Archie?"

Inside the limousine, Nikolai sat opposite the pale Night, who looked as though he hadn't slept in an eternity.

Nikolai frowned, his body tensing. "It smells absolutely revolting in here!"

"Alone, I see," the ghostly man spoke, ignoring the observation.

"The boy was far too much of a conscientious objector," Nikolai said, removing his sunglasses. "I assume that the quiet ones often become the most dangerous, as in the case of yourself. Kill him for me."