Book 1: Chapter 32

Skye came to a halt outside the courtyard of East Tower. It was a large concrete complex, with the Athenian flag and statue of the nation's first president at its centre. The area was barren and lifeless, with no one in sight. He gazed up at the foreboding tower.

"We're here," Skye said. Juliet and Romeo arrived behind him.

"What can you see?" Ren asked, eager for an update.

"Nothing. The lights are on, but the building is empty, as expected. They must be at the top."

"My system says the entrance is armed. The cameras are active and the alarm is on. I'm trying to disable them now."

Juliet pondered. "If the entrance is armed, how did they get inside?"

"Skye, over there," Romeo said, pointing to the main entrance at the end of the courtyard. Two members of the Guard stood rigid, blocking the entrance.

Relief filled Skye's face. "They're here, Ren. The Presidential Guard is blocking the entrance."

"Excellent!" she exclaimed, sounding hopeful for the first time that evening. "I've almost disarmed the security system."

"How are we going to get past them?" Juliet asked, motioning her head to the Guard.

"No lethal force," Ren reminded before Skye could open his mouth.

"Skye, look!" Romeo shrieked.

The group saw it immediately; they had already been spotted. The two guards began walking toward them in regimental unison.

"What's happening?" Ren demanded.

"They've seen us," Skye said, amazed that they were spotted so easily and quickly in the shadows.

"Skye, get in there now! They'll warn the others! I've disarmed the building and the magnetic locks."

"Tahlia's coming!" Juliet screamed, pointing east, feeling her presence suddenly close in on them.

"I'm right behind her," Sierra said.

The two guards broke into a sprint, barrelling towards them with no sign of slowing down. They raised their guns, holding them high.

"They're going to fire," Romeo gasped.

"Get behind me, quickly," Skye instructed. Juliet and Romeo did as he said without a second thought.

"Skye! Get inside!" Ren roared.

Skye's mind raced. There was no time to make a decision. His first priority was to protect Juliet and Romeo. He removed his sword and began charging toward the two guards. He had no intention of harming them, but disarming them may just keep Juliet and Romeo alive. Once the sentries were subdued, he'd be able to infiltrate the tower.

He ran forward, waiting for them to open fire. His reflexes were fast, and he was confident he could avoid being hit by their bullets.

But they made no attempt to pull the trigger.

Skye stopped in front of them and swung his sword downward in an attempt to knock their guns out of their hands. His eyes widened as he watched the blade pass through the gun as if it were smoke.

The pair stopped running. Skye looked up at them. They stood poised, rigid. Their stance was perfect, faultless.

In an instant, Skye had realised what was happening; the guards weren't real. He placed his sword handle back in its holster.

"Daye," he said, wheeling himself around to see the man standing beside him. It had been months since he'd last encountered the Tianzu warrior. They first met five years earlier, shortly after Skye's transformation. Daye never made any attempt to inflict harm on White Shadow, but Skye still considered him to be an enemy. "They're an illusion, aren't they?" he asked, despite already knowing the answer.