Let's play!

Clad in superfine and excellently tailored elegant black tuxedo jacket, and formal trousers, with a pristine white shirt, a white bow-tie, and a vest, Aniruddh was every bit the epitome of sophistication, perfection, and regality. His black half-face mask was emblazoned with a thin string of silver pearls, making him appear extremely charming as well as adding a layer of mystique and enigma to his overall persona.

He was waiting for Bondita in the lavish ballroom adjoining the Dining Room and the Dining Salon through connecting doors. The spacious room was carpeted in a rich maroon with gold prints. The white enameled walls had plaster moldings and were in complete contrast to the dark carpeted flooring. The walls were adorned with large original paintings and elegant light fixtures at equal intervals. The center of the room had a grand chandelier suspended from the ceiling with more than 1000 candles illuminating the entire room through the reflective glass and crystal pieces.

The dance floor was lit with multi-colored lights and just to its one side, laid the grand piano. A band was playing soothing music that was both welcoming and warm, urging the guests to come up and start dancing at leisure.

Bondita had been taken by the ship's appointed staff for her dress-up since 4 PM.

While he had been worried if she was alright, a part of him was very excited to see her in her first ball gown! He was eager to make her first-ever formal ball an exceptional memory that she would cherish forever.

He knew that she had once seen him dancing with Saudamini at their house for a ball before too. But she herself had no idea about a ball until now. He had given her verbal accounts and few dance lessons, but apart from that, this was going to be her first experience and he wanted it to make it as special for her as possible.

He was waiting by the landing of the steps of the ballroom with a lot of hustle-bustle around him. High-end British officials and other elites were mingling with each other. Several rich Indian businessmen in the 2nd Class were also there and were animatedly talking to Aniruddh while the butlers and stewards served drinks and refreshments of various sorts.

Many women were already there accompanying their spouses, and Aniruddh's patience was snapping by the minute as there was no sign of his Bondita.

Deciding to go look for her himself, he put down the tumbler of a punch that he had been drinking on the table beside him. He was about to go on his search for Bondita when one of the butlers announced,

"Esteemed guests, Ladies, and Gentlemen. Welcome to the grand Majestic Masquerade Ball."

He then acknowledged the guests and hosts and announced the activities and events of the night.

Finally, he made an interesting announcement that got Aniruddh's attention.

"We have arranged a special game for 10 newlywed couples on our ship. Not many of you may know, but one of the couples, the esteemed Indian Barrister, Aniruddh Roy Chaudhary, and his beautiful wife, Mrs. Bondita Roy Chaudhary got married on the day this ship embarked on its journey."

This was unexpected to Aniruddh, but suddenly the memory of him carrying Bondita in a bridal style in her Indian bridal attire throughout the ship, in front of so many people surfaced and made him feel a little flushed. It hadn't mattered then, but he realized now that they must have made quite an interesting spectacle!

The hall broke out in loud applause, adding to his fluster as the butler continued,

"So, in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Chaudhary and all the newly wedded couples including Sir Roderic Whitmore and Lady Alison, Mr. Charles and Mrs. Wilma Kensington, Mr. William and Mrs. Haley Duncan, Mr. and Mrs. Godfrey Jones, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Belhaven, Mr. and Mrs. Johnathan Windsor, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Campbell, Mr. and Mrs. Jordan Addison, and Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Windsor, we announce a Masquerade game."

Taking a pause to let the audience cheer and appreciate, he then continued,

"All these 10 beautiful new brides will come down in the next five minutes, and their faces will be covered with full masks. Their respective husbands will have to recognize them. The successful husbands will win the honor of the first dance with their ladies and a free get-away voucher that can be redeemed once they reach London."

As the guests applauded the notion, a sudden thrill ran down Aniruddh's spine with the prospect of a challenge to recognize his bride amongst the others.

"And the husband who fails the challenge will have to bear the punishment of not getting the chance to dance with his wife for the rest of the evening!" The butler continued his announcement as the guests laughed and booed the losers in advance.

A smile came on Aniruddh's lips as the people standing around him started teasing him while some of them bolstered his courage too as if he was going on war instead of a silly, fun game!