POV: Betty

"You're going to be late for school young lady. Prom queens aren't late to school. Get up and get ready NOW. Or you won't be going to that party tonight with Inez that you were going to sneak out to."

"Fuck," I thought. "how does she always find these things out."

I open my eyes and there's my mother, in all her 5'6 glory. If looks could kill, my time of death is today at 7:16am.

"I'm up, I'm up. Get out." I groaned. She finally leaves, but not before shaking her head and leaving the door open on her way out. I reached over for my phone to see if James had texted, but nope. Nothing. Again.

"Prom queens aren't late to school." I mocked as I slowly sat up. "You would know mother, you won both years and now if I don't you'll probably disown me or something." A car honk sounds from outside and I know it's her. That's my final warning, so I throw my hair into a messy bun without combing it and put on the clothes I laid out last night.

-Homeroom, 7:35am-

"Betty, you're late again."

"Yes Mr. Sullivan, I am. However may I earn your forgiveness?" I tilt my head slightly left and showcase my works-like-a-charm puppy dog look. He sighs and crosses his arms.

"Just...sit down, alright? How would it look if the mayor's daughter got her second detention of the school year?" Well, he got me there. Mother's imperative reputation mustn't be ruined. At least that's what she screams at me every time I breathe wrong.

I sit in my seat between Inez and James, and wait for Mr. Sullivan to turn toward the board.

"You never texted me back, what's going on? Did I say something wrong?" I whispered. Ignored.

Inez pokes my arm trying to get my attention.

She leans over to my ear and whispers, not so quietly, "He's probably cheating or something. Claire saw him by Jenette's locker before class."

James slammed his hands on his desk, "I'm not cheating you imbecile! Why do you always have to fill her head with this bullshit you come up with?" Mr. Sullivan walks over and asks him to move forward two rows to the empty seat at the front of the classroom. 

"Bit defensive if you ask me." Inez says with a slight laugh.

"Do you ever shut your mouth Inez?" I ask rhetorically. James is right, she constantly tries to talk badly about him to me. Why can't she focus on her girlfriend and leave my relationship alone.

After sitting with the thought for a few minutes, I started to wonder what reason he'd have for being at Jenette's locker. Claire probably made it up. I don't care, I trust James.