POV: Betty

I haven't heard from James since the weekend of the 4th of July. That was two months ago, and nobody has seen him around town either. I went to his house and his dad said he doesn't know where he is but that he never had any job.

So for my birthday I got myself a vintage t-shirt from the mall. Along with a brand new phone that I didn't put James' number into, high heels, and some black lipstick that my mom can't say anything about because I'm turning 18. He drew stars around my scars with what I thought was going to be a perfect summer, but now those scars are bleeding and he's nowhere to be found. He promised he wasn't going to ruin my special day.

I keep thinking he'll show up at the party still, but I know he won't. The thought haunts me and I keep thinking all of these what-ifs. Every guy that looks anything like James that I see in public, I panic. Next thing you know I'm chasing shadows in the grocery line thinking he's there.

I don't talk to any of my friends and I haven't since James left, so my party will probably be me and my mom. So much for promises.

-The party-

The party started at 6pm, and everyone showed up. It was awkward at first, but when I explained why I ghosted them all I think they felt too bad to make me be single and friendless on my own birthday. Am I single? I guess I wouldn't know.

"I heard he ran off with that girl from the car." Claire said.

"Well I heard that girl is Augustine, remember she graduated top of the class last year and gave that boring speech?" Inez added.

I left and went outside to get some air. I turned on the front porch light but when I opened the door to step out, James was standing there.