POV: James

-The next day, after school-

"Betty, hey. You know for having three classes together it's pretty impressive we didn't speak once all day." I say, trying to not show how annoyed I am about everything.

"I'm sorry, okay. I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry I have a friend that my mom likes and that he happens to be a guy and that it bothers you so much." She says angrily.

"Right, so not sorry at all then?" I ask.

"See you at the dance tomorrow James, I'll meet you in the parking lot here at the school." She says before getting into her mom's car and driving off. Well, shit. I have to go back in and convince Mr. Sullivan to raise that grade.

-At home-

He raised the grade to the minimum it needs to be to get into that school and my dad finally agreed to let me wear his old tux from when he went to prom a hundred years ago. He wasn't prom king and never would've imagined his son winning either until I started dating Betty almost nine months ago. He loves her because he thinks she'll get me a better life than what he could ever get me himself. He's not entirely wrong but I'm not with her for that reason.

I text her asking if she wants a corsage, she says it's up to me.

"Dad I need you to drive me to the store. I need a red corsage for Betty." He peels himself off the couch and hands me the car keys and $30.

"Don't crash and don't get arrested." He demands. That'd be an easier thought to process if I had my license, which I don't. We didn't have the money for driving lessons.

-At the store, 3:40pm-

"I'd like to purchase this, how much is it? The tag was ripped off." The cashier turns around, and my jaw drops. It's a girl that graduated last year that I was super close with. It was never more than friends although she texted me to ask how my first week was back in August and to tell me she actually had feelings for me. I didn't respond because I'd just started dating Betty, but I didn't tell her that.

"Oh, hey James. Going to prom?" She asks, clearly faking a smile.

"Yeah, with my girlfriend. The corsage should match the dress shouldn't it?" I ask, wishing I was literally anywhere else but at this mall in this town on this planet.

"For sure, she'll love it. $25.99, is what the tag said." She says before holding her hand out. I give her the $30 and she scans the corsage. I grab it and leave, as I hear her yell goodbye. I turn without stopping and wave, then walk out. I know what store I'm never coming back to.