POV: James

Why was Betty late to class again, that's two days in a row. Is it because I haven't been talking as much, she's trying to avoid me?

"You never texted me back, what's going on? Did I say something wrong?" she whispered.

Well shit, not avoiding me. Now I almost wish she was.

"He's probably cheating."

What did Inez just say? Is she kidding me right now? Without thinking, I slam my hands on my desk and practically yell at her.

 Mr. Sullivan walks over and forces me to move away from Betty. Fine by me.

Inez says something and laughs, and it takes everything in me not to cause an even bigger scene.

"Do you ever shut your mouth Inez?" Betty says angrily. That's my girl. I love when she defends me to her stupid friends. I wish she'd just drop them.

I try to focus because if I don't raise my F to a C by Friday I can't take Betty to prom. Not that I'm exactly foaming at the mouth with excitement to go. I hate crowds. I hate dancing too, honestly.

-After class, 8:32am-

I stand outside the classroom waiting for Betty to walk out, hopefully not with Inez.

"Betty! Hey. Uh. Hi." I say panicking.

"Hi, do you have something to say or?"

I didn't really think this part through, I wasn't sure she'd actually talk to me.

I attempt to focus and stutter out, "Um yes. Right."

"So say it, my next class is downstairs."

My face clearly gives away my confusion, so I just go ahead and ask.

"What's with the attitude? I'm trying to apologize."

She turns to walk away so I walk with her toward the stairs.

"I'm sorry I didn't respond to your text about the party, I can't go because I need to get my grades up or we can't go to prom." She stops walking.

"James, I'm going with or without you. When you grow a pair and decide you want to communicate, text me." She starts to walk again, but turns around once more.

"I'm sorry too, I didn't mean that. Inez is in my head and I'm worried you're falling out of love and my mom is driving me insane because of-" I pull her into a hug, and she cries softly.

"I have to go to class, I love you. You love me, right?" She asks gently.

"I love you, Betty. Only you, you know that. You can't believe a word Inez says." I affirm. She smiles and I wipe her tears with my hoodie sleeve, telling her to go to class.