POV: Betty

As I was leaving my last class, my mom texted that I needed to come straight home to try on prom dresses and to bring Steven. I asked him and he drove me home happily. He doesn't actually like my mom but he loves to pretend he does. It earns her trust so he can help me to sneak out, which my mom thinks is Inez sneaking me out.

My phone buzzes and I ignore it as Steven takes pictures of me in the dresses on his phone.

"It's probably just Inez trying to apologize for upsetting me earlier." I tell Steven. Around 15 minutes later it starts ringing. James wants to facetime, which is rare for him. I explain why I couldn't say goodbye to him after school without mentioning Steven, because I know he'll get jealous for no reason.

"It's fine, do I get to have a say in which dress you pick?" He asks.

"Of course, I got pictures in all three I can send." I say, but Steven decides he wants to talk and mention that he took the pictures. I sigh, knowing he did it to purposefully rub it in James face that he's in my room. I explain how it's really all my mom's fault, even though I wanted Steven's opinion too. But I leave that part out.

"Totally cool, send the pictures. Love you." I attempt to say it back but he ends the call. He only says love you without the I when he's really upset, which is just great. Maybe we can break the record for most number of fights in one day.

"Steven did you really, when you think about it, have to say anything?" He laughs.

"Yeah, it's fun. Hey look, I'm sorry. More sorry that your boyfriend is lame than anything else, but sorry nonetheless. We good?"

I roll my eyes, but ultimately nod in agreement. We're good, we're always good. Annoyingly.

My mom bursts in and says I have to wear the red dress because her friends on the school board all agree it's guaranteed to win me prom queen. I look at Steven.

"Totally the red, you looked like a beautiful princess." He says with a grin.

I check my phone, thank God James said red too. Red it is. Thank you universe for aligning that.

"Okay, can you leave so Steven and I can study for finals now?" I ask my mom, not really wanting an answer. She claims I shouldn't disrespect her in front of my guest, then leaves.

"Mr. Guest I'm so sorry, please don't think less of me for asking the wicked witch to leave so I don't fail and ruin her reputation." We both burst out laughing.

"I suppose you're forgiven, but tell her I was disappointed in you." He jokes before grabbing my set of flashcards off the bedside table. "Science or math?"

We both laugh again, and set up the science flashcards. We've passed math with C's every year of high school and that's what our grades are in that class right now too.