POV: James

I met Augustine's parents, on accident. It was the first week of August, which is what I've been calling her as a nickname. They were there to visit and I could've sworn I heard the front door close, so I walked out shirtless.

"James, do you love our daughter?" Her father asked, after she called me her boyfriend.

"Yes, sir. I do. Very much." I replied hesitantly but trying to sound firm in my words. We talked about our summer together, leaving out the more explicit details. Obviously. She'd told them we were taking things slow, so I went with that.

That night we danced under the stars on the beach, kissing and whispering our love for each other. I tried so hard to make everything a perfect memory for her to look back on. I stopped talking about Betty after the 4th of July because I didn't want Augustine to know that's why I was moving and who I'd be with. She's always asking if I'll call when I move, and I'm worried if I tell her the truth I'll shatter her. I can't shatter both of them and I already have to shatter Betty by coming clean about everything. Well, I don't know about everything.

That was three weeks ago, this is our last week together. I've done my absolute best to fill it with all her favorite activities and stay glued to her side. I even hung out with her parents every weekend when they visited. But when they show up this weekend, I'll be gone. Augustine will be left to answer all their questions, and I'll be at Betty's party. 

Will she have me after all this time? Will she want me anymore? Will she tell me to go fuck myself and slam the door in my face, or will she lead me to the garden where we had our first kiss. That's what I like to believe will happen. Then in the garden I'll tell her it was just a summer thing and she'll believe me because we love each other. I planned it out for weeks now but, I think it's finally sinking in that the party is next week.

Right now is the last time I can dream about what happens when she sees my face again. The only thing I wanna do is make it up to her. She'll kiss me on the porch in front of all her stupid friends and it'll be just like I dreamed it. It'll patch her broken wings and we'll move in together and live happily ever after. I'll delete Augustine's number and forget I ever knew her, and if I ever come back to this town I'll avoid that store she works at like the plague. Betty will put on her cardigan I got her back in June and we'll be kissing in my car again stopped at a streetlight, and then next year I'll go to New York University with her and we'll be together forever and ever.