POV: Betty

"You heard the rumors from Inez, right? You can't-" I cut him off.

"Believe a word she says, right. Go fuck yourself James." I went to close the door, and he put his hand in the frame. I stared at it and it took everything in me not to slam the door on it."Most times." He said. "But this time it was true."

"Excuse me?" I asked, stepping out onto the porch and closing the door.

Then he rambled on for ten minutes about how sorry he is that he slept next to another girl the whole summer. He swore he thought of me the whole time and that is was because he saw me dancing with Steven. I can't believe that's how much he thought Steven and I had a thing. That he ruined us over it. The door opened before he could finish talking, and it was everyone from the party that was probably listening from the other side of the door. I didn't say anything, just started bawling my eyes out and staring at him.

He begged and begged that I forgive him, so I did. He wiped my tears, and I held his hand. I kissed him before admitting, "And I knew you'd come back to me. I did." I said, my voice still shaking from the crying."So, cute little apartment by the highline?" He asked, which is what I always wanted.

I gave my best fake laugh. "Yeah, we'll have a love that only happens once in twenty lifetimes." I said, pulling him into a hug. I didn't really mean it, but I wanted to.

We went inside and Steven pulled me into the kitchen. "Why'd you do that?"

I took a deep breath and wiped the remaining tears from my face. "Because when I felt like I was an old cardigan under someone's bed, he put me on and said I was his favorite. He could've chosen her, I'm sure she sees in him what I did. Do. Um, but yeah. I know that a friend to all is a friend to none, I do. I know that when you chase two girls, you lose the one. You and everyone else will assume I know nothing about love and what I should be doing, but I know him. Playing hide-and-seek and giving me his weekends. But I also know that before all the fighting we were the once in 20 lifetimes, and we can be that again. I want to feel his heartbeat on the High Line and go to New York University with him next year."

Steven's jaw was practically on the floor. "Look, I respect that I do. What about him stepping on the last train into your life, your birthday party. After marking you like a bloodstain Betty. He tried to change the ending because he realized he was refusing to grow up while you were wanting to live a full life at collage. He knew you wouldn't stay here even if he asked you to, so he left that other girl and is going with you so he doesn't lose what he knows won't come around again. He left like your father and ran straight to her."

I shook my head and just told him, "When you're young they assume you know nothing. But not me. I knew he'd miss me once the thrill expired and he'd be standing in my front porch light. I knew it and I was right, because he loves me. That doesn't go away because he made a mistake. Get over it or leave, Steven." I walked back into the living room and James wrapped his arms around me. I was finally home.