POV: Betty

June 30th was our last full night together, because the next day he had to go back to work. I hate that he works Monday-Friday because he's too tired to hang out during the week.

We'd stolen some beers from his dad's cabinet and next thing you know James is dancing in his Levi's spinning me around at 2am. We were drunk and under a streetlight, and I was wearing the cardigan he'd bought me with some of his paycheck. We got back in the car but couldn't drive until the beers wore off, so he slid his hand under my sweatshirt. It was like he was kissing all our problems and making them better.

-July 4th, 7pm-

James invited me over around 2:30pm and had food ready off the grill in his backyard. He'd made hot dogs and hamburgers, and bought us Sierra Mist. We laid out some of his blankets on the ground and watched the fireworks go off.

I reminded him that after my birthday in September I'm going to New York University. He said a couple week ago that he's taking a year off but I don't know if I need an apartment for two or if he's staying here to keep working for more money.

"I actually haven't decided yet, but I promise I'll have a decision for you soon." He said, before kissing me and leading me into his house. I knew where this was leading but I just went with it. He'd have a decision for me soon and then we'd be living together in the big city.

We spent Saturday at the park, having a picnic on a white sheet with napkins and eating Ritz crackers. I told James I'll be having a birthday party and he needs to be on his best behavior.

"My mom, Inez, Claire, and Steven will all be in one room with you and I'm so sorry for that but it isn't an excuse to make things worse. Okay? Do you promise?"

"Yeah, Betty. Of course. I promise, I won't ruin your special day. I can't believe we're almost adults, it's been the most amazing almost-a-year with you." He leaned over and kissed me.

We spent Sunday in his room cuddling and watching movies, and then I drove home and told my mom all about it. I do that every weekend as an attempt to get her to like him. It doesn't ever work, bu I like to think it will at some point.