22 | small things

| Alessia |

It is always emphasised that the small things are the ones to be grateful for

It is always emphasised that the small things are the ones to be grateful for. But if things like opening a door, having a passport or standing in the rain are big things for me, what are the small things?

This was another decision I had to make on my own, and I decided to be grateful for Jason's apology. He didn't have to do that, much less gift me a necklace, but he did, and I was grateful for that.

Nevertheless, something inside of me was different.

Normally this small gesture would have made me forget his words, but this time the doubts remained. If I'm honest with myself, it all happened too fast between us. He was an escape from the past for me, a past I didn't want to face back then. I liked him but wasn't sure whether this was love, and since I owed it to myself and to him to find out the truth, I decided to figure it out during the holidays.

I played with my necklace and watched him leave the library, before I turned my attention back to the blank sheet in front of me. Pietro and Leandro had already left because I told them I wanted to stay longer to study, which they didn't fully believe but also didn't question any further.

Sometime around 5 pm, when it was already dark and started pouring, I made my way home. Because of the weather, the streets were empty, only now and then, a few cars drove by, until one stopped next to me.

"Alessia?"

That voice alone was enough to make me feel uncomfortable, but I had no other choice than to turn around and face my philosophy teacher, Mr Smith. Seeing him sitting in his grey car, I would never expect so much shit to come out of his mouth.

"You shouldn't be out in weather like this," he said and opened the passenger door from the inside.

"I'm fine," I said and wanted to keep walking, but he kept insisting.

"I don't bite."

But your words do.

I pretended not to hear him and kept walking, but he drove the car slowly alongside me. After a while, when I heard a flash of lightning, I just got in. I had many ideas about how I would die, but being struck by lightning was not one of them.

I closed the door, and he started the car, which made a loud noise and covered the sound of him locking the doors from the inside. I sat as close to the door as possible, and now and then, I could see him looking my way, but he didn't say anything. We drove the same way I usually took with Pietro and Leandro, even the short part through the forest where there was a traffic jam today.

"I missed you in class," he started, thinking it was necessary to pass the time talking.

"I wasn't doing well."

"Every Wednesday, same time?"

"Every Wednesday, same time," I confirmed.

"Do you have a problem with me?" he asked after a while.