27 | tear it

| Alessia |

I had no idea what to expect once I entered Ricardo's study, but I would find out as soon as I found the courage to push the door handle down

Antonio said that such misbehaviour would normally be punished with violence but was certain that Ricardo wouldn't go that far. Ninety per cent of me were also sure he wouldn't do that, but the rest reminded me that you only know as much about a person as they let you know.

However, waiting here and imagining the worst serves no purpose. I went in without knocking, knowing he was expecting me and saw him sitting behind his desk.

When he looked up and spotted me, he turned the paper in front of him around and put it to the side. Close enough for him to grab, but further away, from where I would be sitting.

He gestured to the right chair in front of him, and I sat down. From the look on his face I could tell that this was going to be a serious conversation.

I expected him to tell me I could no longer carry his surname or he would send me to his father in Sicily.

"You were in a relationship with this-" He tried to find a word for Jason. I had many and wanted to suggest one but wasn't sure if those were words he wanted to hear. "Creature."

It was a statement yet sounded like a question, so I nodded.

"And as I see you both were-" It seemed as if he would prefer not to say the next words out loud. "Sexually active."

This was officially one of the most uncomfortable moments of my life, and judging by the look on Ricardo's face, also one of his.

"Protected, I hope?"

"Yes," I replied a little too quickly, and he drilled me with his gaze. "Most of the time," I eventually confessed.

"But I took a Plan B Pill, so everything is fine," I added before he started worrying for nothing.

"Mi farai venire i capelli grigi," he muttered.

"You'll get yourself checked out," he said and changed the subject. His gaze wandered briefly to the paper lying next to him and then back to me.

He opened his mouth but closed it again and thought for a few seconds, which made me nervous. He rarely had a problem saying anything.

"I'm asking you to listen to me before you flip out." If he knew, I would react negatively, but still had to say it, it could only go downhill.