30 | stairs

| Alessia |

I hadn't known Domenico for long, but four hours in a car with him were enough for me to confide in him as I'd never confided in anyone before

And then he was gone.

I was thrown out of the car, far enough that I couldn't get up but close enough to see Domenico trapped under the car.

The glass of the car window punctured his heart- he died before anyone came.

Later I found out he was a free spirit. Settling down in one place with a wife and children was not his thing. He was a traveller, always in a different place, an adventurer who always took a risk and was lucky that nothing fatal happened.

Pietro told me many stories about him and tried to lighten the mood, but the way his eyes were filled with admiration- yet pain told me he lost the person he looked up to.

A week after the accident, I was discharged from the hospital. Afterwards, Ricardo and the others flew to Sicily for the funeral, but I had to stay here as the doctor did not allow me to fly. Rafael also stayed, as there were important business meetings this week that a family member had to attend.

Ricardo offered to stay if I didn't want to be alone with Rafael, but I urged him to go. It was his younger brother, in fact, his favourite brother, and although he didn't show it, I could see how much this affected him.

Since I got discharged, I haven't left my room, or rather my bed. The curtains were closed, but at least I found the motivation to shower today.

Someone knocked on my door, but I took my time getting up. I assumed it was Jackson, as he was guarding the hallway. Over time I have learnt to trust him, but I still kept my door locked.

However, it wasn't him.

When I opened the door, Antonio came in, whom I hadn't seen for four months. I wouldn't say I was short, I was 5'7, but he was still a bit taller than me at 6'3. He was wearing a black t-shirt that showed off his arm muscles.

He turned 19. I called him on his birthday. To be honest- I called him many times during my stay as I couldn't understand nor resist the urge to talk to him.

I smiled at him briefly and then got back into my bed. I felt the end of my bed sink, a sign that he sat down there. It seemed like he wasn't going to leave, so I threw the key at him.

"At least lock the door." It was not necessary for Rafael to come home and decide to visit my room for whatever reason.

He smirked and did it while I realised what was going on in his head for a moment.

"We're supposed to be friends, you know?" I reminded him. My feelings had been all over the place lately, and he wasn't helping.

"You are more than a friend to me, Alessia," he said honestly. "And I am sure that I'm more than a friend to you too."