37 | temporary goodbyes

| Alessia |
Sicily, Italy

Controlling who you attach yourself to is not easy, but by the time you realize it has happened, it's usually too late to detach yourself

Alessandro and Ricardo would be away for a while. They would travel through Sicily and then make a detour to Italy to take care of the last matters so that Alessandro could step up as Don as soon as possible.

I was excited for the ceremony, as well as for Ricardo to finally hand over the title, which according to Pietro, he was also looking forward to.

Ricardo was the best Don and Alessandro had learned from him, which would make him an even better one.

"Are you sure you didn't forget anything?" I asked Ricardo, accompanying him to the front door.

Part of me hoped they had forgotten something because it would bring them back, but it was also possible that they would rather send a guard if that happened.

"I'm sure, Alessia," he answered the same question for the third time now.

One to two weeks, that's all they would be away.

Compared to the facility, it was a short time, but still, I couldn't seem to get rid of that uneasy feeling inside of me.

After all, everything was possible once they stepped outside the door. A truck could crash into their car, and before anyone arrives, they would bleed out due to their injuries, or the car would explode.

The accident with Domenico was not something I was able to forget overnight.

I wasn't aware of the impact it had on me until I was seated in the driver's seat, wanting to start practicing for my driver's license, when I saw those pictures in front of my eyes again and froze.

However, I couldn't hold Ricardo up any longer, so I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him as tight as I could.

I rested my head against his chest as I felt his arms wrapping around me- gently stroking my back. "Can I call you?" I asked.

"I will be waiting for a call every day," he said, easing my worry that I could bother him if I called.

Loosening my grip, I looked up at him. "Tornerai, vero?" (You're going to come back, right?)

"Torneremo, Alessia," he assured me, and his words were enough to ease a bit of my worry. Ricardo was always honest and direct with me. He didn't promise me things that sounded almost too good to be true, nor did he lie without batting an eyelid as Henry did. (We will come back.)

"Just making sure of it," I said.

"Do I also get a goodbye hug?" Alessandro asked, appearing with Rafael behind me.

"A temporary goodbye," I corrected him, and he raised his hands in surrender before hugging and holding me closely for a long time.

"Prenditi cura di lei," Alessandro said so quietly to Rafael that I guessed it wasn't meant for my ears. (Take care of her.)