39 | family tables

| Alessia |
Sicily, Italy

As far as I can remember, I have never been to a wedding

As far as I can remember, I have never been to a wedding. Therefore, I was more excited than nervous when Antonio asked me to accompany him to his half-brother's wedding.

I wasn't sure whether this was a date or not, probably not since he never said it was one. Maybe it could be considered one, but whatever it was, I was happy he was in Sicily now and that we could spend time together.

Apart from seeing Antonio, I was also looking forward to the meal, as well as to meeting other members of Antonio's family with whom he had a better relationship.

"What do you think about this one?" I asked, turning from the mirror to Pietro, whose attention was on his phone.

"Huh?" he asked, and I pointed to the dress. "Yeah, that's the one."

That was his answer to every dress, but his opinion was better than Rafael's or Leandro's, who would just say no, and justify it with a reason that wouldn't even make sense.

"This dress or the one before?" I really wanted to make a good impression.

"You look like crap in both of them," he answered, and I threw a small bag at him, but he dodged it in time.

"You're no help."

"I am no help?" he repeated with emphasis on the I. "Rethink that again, paperotta. Who made-"

I threw another bag. "Don't call me that."

"Rafael let you go?"

I would like to say he was exaggerating when he claimed that, but he was right. His persuasion and reasoning skills were unique and had saved my ass a few times.

That's Pietro for you; he always says that he'll tell on you, but when it comes down to it, he saves you.

"You know what? You're right; you can go. I'll call Jasmine."

He didn't need to be told that twice and stood up.

"And I was joking; you look beautiful no matter what you wear, stupid," he said as he walked out.

I was surprised. Ignoring his last word, that may have been the nicest thing Pietro has ever said to me.

• • • •

With Jasmine's help, I ended up choosing a blue dress that ended up fitting the location.

I had imagined everything a bit more dark and serious, so I was surprised that everything was so luminous and lively, and that the wedding would be held outside.

That was probably because Antonio's brother was not an active part of the mafia, so there were no rules for him about how his wedding had to be held.

Antonio had told me where to go, but it was brave of me and also of him to believe that I would be able to memorise it, which is why I accidentally went into the wrong room- the bride's room.