33 | actions and words

| Third Person |

Leandro slammed his car door shut and drove off at full speed, not noticing someone following him

Leandro slammed his car door shut and drove off at full speed, not noticing someone following him. Only when the car behind him accelerated even more and blocked the way did he hit the brakes abruptly.

Through the darkness, he could neither recognize the car nor the person he was probably about to punch, Alessandro.

"Keep driving like that, and you will be next," he remarked while getting out of the car. Unlike Leandro, he didn't slam the door but left it open and leaned against his Maserati.

Leandro scoffed. "What do you want?"

Alessandro told him what else Alessia had said, believing that her confession was the reason why he stormed out, but he was wrong this time.

"She didn't do anything wrong, Leandro."

"I know." He hit the bonnet of his car and turned to his brother. "I know that she didn't do shit."

"Good. Then what's your problem?"

"I'm pissed."

He wanted to take his anger out on someone- he had to take it out. Yet the people he wanted to take it out on were either dead, and he didn't have the chance to kill them, or on the other side of the world, and he couldn't attack yet without risking a war in which more innocent people than guilty would die.

"You remember when we listened to her tape? I walked out at the beginning and only came back towards the end, so I listened to the part I missed a few months ago."

It was not difficult for Alessandro to put together what was causing his brother problems.

"The part where she found her parents?"

"The part where she found her parents," he confirmed. "Didn't that remind you of her?"

"I've never seen it."

Leandro, however, saw it. He was eight when he went into the basement and saw his mother hanging herself from the ceiling. He remembered how he froze on the spot, then ran up to his father's study and pulled him into the cellar with him, but by then, it was too late.

He knew his mother made fatal mistakes, but she had loved her husband and her children. After her death, he couldn't help but blame his father for missing his mother because he never spoke badly about her.

And he never forgave himself for being a useless child who couldn't do more.

"I just don't think it's fair. People see shit that fucks them up, but while we had this life and this family, she had to live that life, if you can even call it that.

"She is the one who deserves all this, but why didn't she have it?

"And I'm not making that easier for her," he confessed.