48 | restroom floors

| Alessia |
Sardinia, Italy

"How are things between you and Enrico?"

My fork stopped in mid-air, and my gaze wavered back and forth between the two women in front of me, mother and daughter-in-law; Lilian and Georgina, before I took the bite and spent a conspicuous amount of time chewing.

Until a few days ago, I was unaware that Lilian lived in Sardegna and Georgina used to as well, before living with Elijah. And as today was my last day here, I met them for lunch.

Realising that perhaps for them, my silence made more sense than my words ever could, I tried to answer Georgina's question.

"We... We stopped-" I was not sure if it was appropriate to call it a break-up as we were not officially together, and saying it out loud only brought me back to reality.

"We stopped spending time together," I said slowly.

"Because you're here, and he's still in Italy?" Georgina asked, and I shook my head.

"No, what I mean is, we don't really talk anymore," I muttered. "We broke up, I guess."

No matter how hard I tried, in the end, I couldn't find a way around the word. Georgina's brows knitted, and she needed a few seconds before she could realise what I was saying.

"You ended things?"

I nodded in response.

"Did he..." Georgina hesitated as she tried to come up with an idea of what Antonio might have done to make me end things with him, but the fact that it took her so long to even come up with a bad act on his part was another slap in the face.

"Is it something I should call Elijah for so he can go and drag him up by his ear?" she then asked, but I assured her that it was not necessary.

"It's just that people grow apart," I told them confidently, trying to convince them of what I was saying and perhaps end the topic. "We want different things for the future, and I think it was better to end it sooner than later."

Most of that was a lie- the biggest lie was that I had an idea of what I wanted for the future.

Georgina didn't seem as convinced as I had hoped to convince her, but she didn't push the issue any further.

My eyes caught Lilian's. She had stayed out of this conversation, but she had listened to it. And something told me that my words were only stones to her, that if she turned them over, she would see the truth.

She gave me a warm smile. "Do you know what I think?"

I shook my head.

"I believe Angelina Moretti got into your head."

"Yes, I think she used her witch powers on you and hypnotised you with her perfect blue eyes," Georgina added. "Or more likely threatened you.

"What did she tell you?"