Screw the teacher (N.R)

Request: MazeyNugget

Warnings: dyslexia

Y/N is Natasha's 9 year old daughter. She has been diagnosed with dyslexia. This makes it pretty hard for her to read, and to this nine year old that's quite frustrating.

Y/N POV:

"Mommy, I don't read as fast as the other kids in my class" I say when I come into the kitchen where my mom is cleaning up after dinner.

"Honey, you remember what we talked about?" She answers. "There's nothing wrong with reading slow. We are trying to find out what will help you get better. Make things easier and better for you" she runs her hand through my hair.

"But I'm supposed to read quicker. I know we talked about it, but I barely get through a page when the others are like on page 10 or something" I explain. "It's really.. gosh I don't know the word"

"Frustrating?" She suggests.

"Yeah, that's the word" I say. I go a little quiet.

"What is it honey?"

"I'm Natasha Romanoff's daughter. The black widow. I'm not supposed to read slow. Not supposed to write slow. The other kids want me to be the fastest. It's killing me over here"

"Hey, you are perfect. The only thing being my daughter means, is that I love you. I don't care how fast you read, or write. All I care about is if you are happy. And safe. And warm in your little bed, with a full belly" she comes closer and starts tickling me. She picks me up and starts carrying me up to bed.

Timeskip: next day at school.

"Alright. I think the next one is Ms. Romanoff" the teacher says.

I can feel my heart start racing. "Uhm.. when the dinosaurs felt the eart-" I can hear people laughing. "Oh I'm sorry. Left" I say.

"Continue" the teacher says.

"When the dinosaurs left the earth, the mammals got a chance to evolve. Uhm, that's why we won live like we live. Everything-" once again. Laughing.

"I believe the word is 'now' Ms. Romanoff" the teacher corrects me. I hate this. I can feel the all too familiar knot in the back of my throat. Its growing.

"Can someone else please take it? I'm sorry" I apologize.

"Ms. Romanoff, we are having a test about this later this week" he tells me.

"I know that mister. But I think maybe.. I Uhm learn better when I listen" I try to explain.

"Fine, you do that. Uh Ms. Burrow, could you take it?" Then they move on. Why am I like this? People get impatient when I read, I mix up all the words and letters. It's not my fault they literally jump all over my page. I'd like to see them trying to read with letters living their own life.

*way home from school*

I walk in the door. Once I'm out of the elevator and I'm met with mom. She's standing there so proud. "What?" I ask sassily.

"You walked home all by yourself without calling me" she says smirking.

"Oh, I guess I did" I answer kinda on the down low.

"детка, what is it? That's been your goal ever since you started walking home alone" she comes over to me and bends down. She starts helping me with my jacket.

"I'll never pass this grade" I tell her.

"What? Y/N/N, you're in the third grade. You're not supposed to worry about that. You will pass. What happened that makes you think like that?"

"I tried to read out loud but-" I start but she cuts me off.

"OH! Y/N! That's amazing! I'm so so proud of you" she says.

"But... I couldn't really do it. The letters kept jumping around and there was a lot of pressure and I mixed up all the letters" I explain almost crying but not quite. "Also, like everybody expects better of me"

"But you tried. All that makes it even more fantastic. You tried, perhaps you didn't read all that the teacher wanted you to. But you know what I say then, screw the teacher" she says. I'm shocked. My mouth is gaping. "Yeah. Screw the teacher!" She repeats.

"Oh mama you don't mean that" I say laughing.

"I kinda do" she smirks again. "What do you mean with people expect more of you?"

"Well, the black widow is my mom. Everybody expects me to excel at anything I do"

"Alright, don't care about that. All that matters is what you expect of you. And for me, as long as you do your best I'll always be proud. No matter what. And hey you managed two goals today. That causes for celebration. Where do you want to eat tonight?" She asks poking my stomach.

"MCDONALDSSSS!!" I yell and jump into her arms.

"Alright McCutie. That's where we'll go. You just continue to put a little bit of pressure on yourself and you'll do wonderful. Not too much, just enough to get you over some bumps in the road"

I look at her. "So when can we go?"

"At dinner time, I have a little bit of training to get down first, but why don't you go play for a bit and I'll call for you when I'm ready to go?" She suggests.

"Sounds like a plan" I say and put my hand up in the air. Mom hits it and we yell.

"HIGH FIVEEE!" And laugh until we can't anymore.

——————————————————-
Word count: 902

Hope that was something some of you could recognize yourself in.

If I went off of what I know my brother has struggled with, but I don't have dyslexia myself, so some stuff might be wrong.

Hope you liked it:)

Any requests?

XoXo Lena<3