0.9

Indie walked the last few steps before stopping at the entrance of her younger sister's school.She planted a kiss on the younger honey caramel girl's forehead watched her little sister enter the school building with two of her school friends before quickly walking down the sidewalk on the path to her own school.

She was going to be late. She had been so invested in her slumber that she didn't even hear her alarm clock going off this morning. Of course that resulted in her father (rudely) waking her up. Afterwards, he barely said two words to her as she scrambled around to get Camilla and herself dressed. And now here she was, power walking on the highway to hell,desperately hoping that she wouldn't be late.

Indie pulled her black beanie down over her messy curls, picking up her pace. She couldn't believe she had allowed herself to oversleep. She wish she could say she couldn't believe her father didn't notify her the night before that she might have to walk. But at the age of 16,she had grown too accustomed to his ways.

She exhaled deeply, her view of the school getting closer. She pushed her legs to walk faster. If she was lucky maybe she could make it before the second bell. By the time she entered the school building, teenagers were frantically collecting materials from their lockers and rushing to their first period class. She frowned at the sight of the crowded hallway. She carefully tried to manuever her way through the halls, making sure not to bump into people at their lockers or walking by. Successfully, she made it to her locker.

Sticking her bottom lip between her two teeth, she did the combination to unlock her locker. Once opened, she cared less about being tidy, grabbing one out and throwing another one in there. She closed her locker and started walking to first period. Luckily, there weren't that many people for her to have to make sure not to bump into.She thought she would have been okay when suddenly someone barrelled into her. The force had been so great that it knocked Indie off her balance and she crashed to the floor. Her book and binder flew out of her hands

"Can't you watch where you're going!?" someone sneered at her

Indie's blood turned cold as she looked up to see who the person was. In front of her stood one of the guys that bothered about two weeks ago. He was looking down at her like he didn't know whether to walk away in disgust or to kick her with the heel of his shoe.

If Indie had the confidence, she would have made it clear that he bumped into her. He wasn't the one that fell down, she was.

"I-I'm s-" Indie tried to say, still on the ground

He didn't stay to hear her apology, instead storming off, muttering something about being late and calling her a bunch of rude profanities. Indie felt her eyes become heavy, tears threatening to spill. She had the urge to grab her things and walk right back out of the school building. She sniffled, pulling her beanie back down. She was about to stand up when she heard a male voice say her name.

"Indie?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke didn't hesitate to extend his hand to help her up. To his surprise and relief, she didn't fight back, she took his hand and allowed him to help her up. It was then that he noticed that her eyes were wide and she was on the verge of crying. The look on her face wounded him. He'd willingly allow Ben to tease him for a month if it meant that Indie would never wear that hurt expression again.

He wanted-no he needed- to know why Indie was crying. What had lead this on? Did something happen at home? Or was she crying for the mere embarrassment of falling in the hallway?

He noticed Indie dusting herself off and grabbed her book and binder. Letting out a small sniffle,she took it gratefully. She put her arm through the other strap of her panda backpack. His heart throbbed when he noticed the tear tracks on her face.