1.0

Indie's aunt was apologetic. Deeply apologetic. So apologetic that Indie felt bad for burdening her with in the first place.

"I can't believe I turned my phone off, I usually always turn it on vibrate." her aunt said to no one in particular as she drove Indie home

It wasn't until just a little bit after lunch started that her Aunt Charlotte finally returned Indie's phone calls. Aunt Charlotte knew about Indie and her history of panic attacks, so when she heard the voicemail she insisted Indie leave school early.

"Aunt Charlotte, I swear I'm okay."

The lie rolled off her tongue like water on a leaf. Indie was never okay, but that was for no one to know about but her.

"Indie, you don't have panic attacks when you're okay." her aunt said, stopping at a red light

Indie said nothing, fiddling with the bracelets on her arm. Part of her wished she could actually open up to her aunt.

Charlotte had stepped up as a mother figure when her mom walked out and her dad became a workaholic. It was Aunt Charlotte who had told Indie it was okay to be upset about her mom's departure and her father's new all work mentality.Indie remembered Aunt Charlotte being the one she ran to when she found out about Sophia moving. Aunt Charlotte had been the one to reassure her that their friendship wouldn't change and that everything was going to be okay. When it was determined that her friendship with Sophia was definitely over, Aunt Charlotte was the one that came over to spend the night with cookie dough ice cream and some of Indie's favorite movies to cheer her up. And when Indie could no longer wear a smile on her face, it was Aunt Charlotte who allowed Indie to lay in her lap and sob.

"It doesn't-"

"Don't you dare say that it doesn't matter because it does matter." her aunt scolded, "Something happened to make you react the way you did. And when you're ready to discuss it, we will, okay?"

Indie nodded, resting her head against the window.

"Okay."

Indie could tell her Aunt Charlotte was resisting the urge to squeeze the truth out of Indie. She'd never do that though, she respected Indie's feelings.

Her aunt parked her black Lincoln in the driveway of Indie's house. The older woman pressed the button to unlock the door allowing Indie to get out. She closed the door behind her and was walking towards her door when she heard her aunt raise down her window. Indie walked back towards the car.

"Don't worry about your father or school or any of that other stuff right now."

Indie opened her mouth to ask a question, only for her aunt to dismiss it with a wave of her hand.

"I'll handle anything that arises, but trust me, nothing will. Go up to your room and get some sleep before I have to bring your sister home."

Indie nodded, pulling her beanie farther down on her ebony curls.

"Thanks for bringing me home." Indie said, before walking towards her front door again

"Indie." her aunt called out

Indie turned to look at her aunt, not moving.

"I love you." her aunt professed

The look in her aunt's eyes combined with her tone sent a guilty feeling in her stomach.

Indie looked down before meeting her aunt's gaze. "I love you too."

Indie locked the door behind her before going upstairs to her room. She threw her book bag down and stripped from her school clothes into clothes more comfortable. It wasn't until she had looked at herself in the mirror that she broke down.