Chapter 3

Kagayema's narration

I saw Hinata for the first time in junior high volleyball competition. The first thing to grab my attention was that hell fluffy orange hair. Who has THAT orange hair? I thought it was really funny, he kept jumping around... Excited like a little bunny. We all thought he must've been a substitute player or someone... but oh... OH, WHEN WE SAW HIM PLAY. HE WAS STRAIGHT-UP INSANE..!!

Believe me when I say HE CAN JUMP..!! No, no... jump would be a severe understatement... that guy can FLY. He can legit fly..!! Like, a second ago he was on the other side of the court, and before any one of us could realize he was on the opposite side, and about 4 feet high in the air..!!

But the thing is, he was the only good player on their team

But the thing is, he was the only good player on their team. Or I should rather say the only player. Later I got to know that the rest of the boys didn't even play volleyball, they all were either soccer or baseball players. So, they lost that match.

If watching him play was one surprise, what happened after that was another. With tears at the brim, he called me from the back and gave me an open challenge that he'll definitely defeat me and go far higher. I honestly didn't know what to say. I mean, for someone who just lost terribly, he was pretty confident. I liked that.

And then, I SAW HIM AGAIN. In our practice match against Karasuno. We traveled all the way from Tokyo to Miyagi for that match. It was indeed a pleasant surprise seeing him there, and I guess it's safe to say that he felt the same way. He started his bunny jumping and ran towards me screaming "THE KING OF THE COURT IS HEERREEEE". I- it... It was cute, ngl.

Again, most of my teammates thought he was a substitute, some even thought he was a ball-boy lol. But I knew what we were up against.

[A/N - hey everyone. If you didn't understand, Kageyama is a Nekoma setter. Because you see, it'd be meaningless to keep 3 setters in Karasuno. So I swapped Kageyama and Kenma. Hope you're enjoying the book.]

You'd think his legacies would end with that jump... but, NOPE..!! I'll never understand how such a small person can have so much energy and power... seriously speaking, the ball just wooosshed away and hit the floor before we could even think of moving. Everyone had their jaws hung open and it took us a considerable amount of time to shake us off that trance. He was clearly a better player than what I faced back then.

But you see, a spiker alone cannot do such miracles. Their setter was a wonderment as well..!! I already heard about him from Kuroo-san (our captain). His name is Kenma, a second-year student. My upper classmates have already faced him a few times in the past. Our captain speaks a great deal about him, and when I experienced it first hand, I was completely awe-struck.