Chapter One- "A Hero"

In grade school, a "hero" was thought of as a policeman, or firefighter, or even your parents. They did good in society and seemed to be flawless. When we got to middle and high school, the older "heroes" were just people in the way of us to enforce rules we wouldn't or didn't want to follow.

I came from a small town and we weren't that typically rebellious teens, but then again, who needs trouble in a small town anyways? There was little crime because everyone knew each other and word traveled fast. That's why when my brother was named "town hero" because he put out a fire in a medium-sized barn at his job a few years ago, it was no joke that he was praised by everyone.

He denounced the title after a while for some unknown reason to me and everyone but his best friend, but now that we were moving to Manhattan, he would get to leave that behind while our dad and soon-to-be-step-mother would probably try to brag about it to all the city's new people.

Local Teen Boy Puts Out Fire was seemingly nothing in Manhattan. All because of a real hero; a Superhero.

***

"What do you mean?" Kylie, my beautiful-blonde best friend, asked me as she sat on my new bed in my new, seemingly-fancy penthouse in the city. She had helped me move, but of course that didn't actually include her lifting any boxes or unpacking.

"This superhero guy..." I clarified. As soon as we got to the city and received a newspaper, the title was SUPERHERO SAVES DAY ONCE MORE.

"Well I don't understand what you're saying," she repeated. "You don't believe it."

"I don't believe it," I confirmed. "This town, from what I've seen—"

"In the last three hours—"

"—is obsessed with this guy and him saving people," I finished.

"Exactly what don't you believe about it? It's there in black and white," Kylie pressed.

"There's no such thing as super powers and popping up out of nowhere and it's not real!" I shouted. I didn't know what "powers" he had, but it was proven that this city has an interest in this guy.

"Well apparently this Proliator is the answer to your denial," Kylie determined. Ugh.

"I won't believe it 'till I see it," I decided.

"Alright," she shrugged. Suddenly my door opened and in walked my brother and her brother.

"Angela, Kylie, have you seen this city yet?" My brother Sebastian asked, completely amazed.

"No; Angela is being a loser and making me stay cooped up in here," Kylie complained.

"I didn't strain your arm," I reasoned. She stuck her tongue out at me and few words were shared before she left my room with my brother. Kylie's brother, Kenneth, had stayed behind, looking out of my window.

"This isn't like Frankford at all," he commented. I checked him out from behind; he wore his shirt tucked in like usual with his flashy belt buckle that was up to his waist, but as he faced away from me, I saw his nice butt. He took off his cowboy hat and turned to me. I immediately flashed my eyes up to his blue ones.

"I'm really gonna miss ya'll," the words rolling of his tongue were words that everyone had said to me and my family, but they meant more coming from him. Kenneth and I had a courtship that carried from when we were younger until now. Our friends joked and teased at us about our future of settling down together, but I have no idea as to why we had never taken it seriously.

"I'm gonna miss you too," I whispered back. We were now inches apart and my eyes were basically daring him to kiss me. His crystal eyes glanced from my lips to my eyes frequently, as we started to lean in.