Chapter TwentySeven- "It's Not a Game"

When we returned back to Manhattan, Hayden was waiting patiently on his motorcycle with a single flower in his hand. As soon as his eyes connected to mine, we shared a smile. My family grabbed their bags and went inside, but I walked over to Hayden.

"So how are you and Kenneth?" he asked. He didn't ask in complete sorrow, but I wanted to see a flicker of jealousy in his eyes.

"How do you think?" I asked, placing my bag on the sidewalk and walking over to him.

"I think that any guy to have you is lucky," he said, looking down. I grabbed his hand and looked up at him. I suddenly leaned over and kissed him. He looked down at me, confused.

"I guess you're lucky then," I smiled. He smiled wider than before and his arms coiled around my shoulders in a hug. He climbed off of his bike when we released and he grabbed my bag, grabbed my hand, and towed me upstairs.

My family was busy putting away their things, so we went straight up to my room anyways. He set my suitcase in front of my closed door and immediately grabbed my waist. He kissed me quickly yet passionately. 

"I missed you," he said.

"I missed you too," I said honestly. I missed Hayden because I really did like him, but when I was with him then and there, Kenneth, Dastan and the Proliator were on my mind. How could they not be after Kenneth telling me about the barn fire?

He dipped his head down and pressed his lips to mine again, this time, running his tongue along my lip for entrance. When our tongues collided together, I started to pull away, only because I felt my back hit the softness of my bed. However, when my lips parted from his, he was laughing.

"What?" I asked, out of breath. He lifted his hand to reveal a stuffed lion. Larry.

"You still have stuffed animals. That's so cute," he teased. I took Larry from him and studied its features as if for the first time. How was this on my bed when I had left it in the closet after getting caught by Sebastian before we left?

The Proliator had been here. Or maybe it was Hayden himself.

" Is this your favorite animal?" he suddenly asked, even though I had interrupted our making out for a stuffed animal present that was given to me by someone who I rarely knew, but I was obsessing over.

Hayden's question made me think of two things:

One, the fact that maybe he couldn't be or know the Proliator because he acted like Larry was mine. I would assume a "colleague" would be told about some secret girl...

The second thing I was reminded of was that of Dastan's adorability when we had gone to the zoo and he had asked me my favorite animal. 

"Actually, it's a horse," I answered, just to see if he would argue with me like Dastan. However, all he did was nod accordingly and I could see the wheels turning as he solidified that into his memory.

Suddenly, my phone started to ring. When I recognized the ringtone, I left the phone on the bed beside us.

"He's a, a good time, cowboy Casanova leaning up against the record machine! He looks like a cool drink of water, but he's candy-coated misery. He's the devil in disguise, a snake with blue eyes and he only comes out at night. Gives you feelings that you don't want to fight; you better run for your life..."

"Why is Vega calling you?" Hayden asked. My lips twitched.

"I don't know," I said.

"He's a, a good time, cowboy Casanova—"