Chapter TwentyFive-"It's All Settled Then"

Of course my day was spent with Kenneth. He was my partner, Kylie was Sebastian's, and Jeremy was the ring bearer with one of Veronica's nieces as the flower girl. Sure, everything looked fine and robotically performed for Veronica and my father's sake, but really? I wanted to yell out and settle everything with Kenneth.

So when we were released for the day, Kenneth and I went back to the house, but planned on changing before heading down to the lake. It was moderate temperature here so jeans and a hoodie would do. When I emerged from my room, Kenneth was waiting for me in some khaki shorts and a blue polo shirt. He had a light jacket on and soft eyes to match its fabric.

"So...how have you been?" Kenneth asked me when we got to the lake. We were sitting at the bench that we made, and I looked over to him.

"I'm not going to start with the small talk," I told him, realizing I had adapted the New York rudeness.

"Alright," he sighed. "What do you want?"

I didn't know if he meant what to talk about or who I want.

"That depends," I stated. "How are you and Jaime?"

He didn't pause like some guy cheating on his girlfriend. He stayed composed and normal. As he should. 

"Nothing," he said. "She's been coming down here when she doesn't have classes and last night she stayed at Louis' because she and his sister are friends."

I knew there was more. Knowing Kenneth, he'd just come out and say it instead of making me ask. There was a silence between us and my assumption proved wrong.

"And what happened?"

"We kissed," he informed, but he didn't look down like some betrayal or act like it was out of the ordinary. However I stood up and knew our decision.

"Well I'm glad that's all settled," I clapped. He looked up at me with disbelief.

"Um no. Nothing's settled at all," he said. I shrugged.

"You have your life with Jaime here and I have mine back in Manhattan," I sighed. I truly love Kenneth. I do. But I'm not willing to force a relationship in a situation like this because I wasn't in love with him. Especially when I know he's happy with someone else that's good for him.

"With Hayden, right?" he suddenly asked. I took that tone offensively.

"Hayden's treated me like he's wanted me from day one. He doesn't do one thing and tell me something entirely different the next moment. I don't have to wait for him either," I said. "So who am I to deny him when he doesn't want to wait sixteen years like you?"

"That's really low, Angela," Kenneth growled.

"How so?" I asked. "What's low is you getting mad when I say we part our ways because I want your happiness and then yet you're still mad when I make a valid reason. I don't know how to be around you anymore, Ken. I'm only being like this because I'm confused and I don't know what to think or say or do. Everything in my life depends on you and I don't know how that is when I know that I'll do whatever you want which sort of circles back to—"

I was rambling, obviously, because that's the strange effect Kenneth had on me. Well...Kenneth, the good Dastan, and Proliator. But instead of my words being dialectical vomit, they were words expressing my true feelings. And he knew it too, well I hope that's why he seized my waist and pressed his lips against mine.

It was different. It held more passion and love than Hayden's. Our lips moved together and it was sweet and tender, like I never wanted to let go of it. It truly was everything I expected and all of my emotions portrayed in affection. He pulled away after a moment.