Chapter Thirteen-"In The Way"

"Angela! Angela!" Hayden's voice called, ten minutes after the football game ended. I had been standing around, talking to my friends before the party, but considering our stadium is on school campus, it made it easy for certain football players to find you after they changed. I looked to Cheyenne, who gave me a cautioning look. Please don't leave me, please don't leave me—

"I'll just wait in the car," Cheyenne said and then departed with our friends.

Goddamn it.

"Angela," Hayden said, reaching me. I had to turn to him, but my gaze was away from him. "So where did you want to go to eat?"

That's when I looked up at him and forced a laugh.

"You honestly think I'm still going to go out with you?" I asked him. He stared at me as if something I said was a mistake. I scoffed and turned away from him.

"Angela—" he addressed, grabbing my arm.

"You got in a fight with my brother," I reminded. For reasons unknown...

"And?" he had the decency to ask. I turned to face him, despite the number of people surely watching. Sure, I glanced at them a few times and thought of my response. Hayden gave me a sympathetic look that was nothing less of attractive, but then something flickered in his eyes before I was seized by the waist and pulled back into someone. When I realized who it was, I pulled away from him.

"If you honestly believe your games can continue after you beat up her brother then you're psycho," Nik's voice said, protectively. Great. Another fight.

"What games?" I asked.

"The game he plays with everyone—"

"I'm not playing a game," Hayden said, stepping towards us. I looked between them, deciding who I should choose. Hayden looked into my eyes. "I'm an asshole, I know that. Sebastian and I don't like each other, but that has nothing to do with us, Angela."

His words were true, but I couldn't imagine the trouble stirred if I had still been in relation with someone who my brother despised, let alone physically fought.

"He's just trying to win you over so that he can—"

"Shut up," Hayden finally growled at him. The two boys glared at each other as if they could kill with their pair of irises, but if they ever made a move, I wouldn't know because I walked off.

You really shouldn't walk around alone, a British voice rang out into my brain. At the thought of it, I gasped to a stop at the end of the sidewalk and then met at Cheyenne's car.

"Let's go party," I said, pushing all the drama out of my mind.

***

Cheyenne was drunk. Our friends were all drunk.

And Hayden? Well he was busy screwing up any and every thought I had for reconciliation.

"I didn't take you for the kind to drink," a voice said, now that I was on the upstairs balcony in the only unoccupied room at this party. From here, I could see everything happening at the pool. I turned to see my visitor, surprised that he was talking to me—and not some half naked girl like the last person that had barged into this room.

"That's not the first time I've heard that," I replied to him in a nice voice. No, I wasn't drunk off my ass and ready to talk to just anyone...it was just the effect that he had on me.

"Because you're so seemingly innocent all the time," Dastan said, walking over to put his elbows on the railing and drink from his red cup.

"Mhmm," I hummed. I never knew how to act around him. I thought he hated me—no. I knew he hated me, but he was drinking now. Maybe that meant he was drunk enough to be nice to me. However nice he could be, it was better to feel that aura in silence than test it out.