Chapter TwentyFour-"Well Jaime Looks Well..."

"He saved me and I was being so...rude to him, yet he came to my bedroom to check up on me and then asked about you and Kenneth."

"Aw. That's sweet."

"You're missing the point in which he said he happened to remember your names and he said he'd known Sebastian and Kenneth for a while, now," I said. She shrugged.

"He's a superhero, he probably knows everything," she assumed.

"I wish I had that right," I scoffed, blowing a strand of hair out of my face.

"So he saves you and says he knows us...and then you have wild fantasies about him?" she asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Oh no. You haven't even heard the best part; he wants me," I told her. She froze.

"He wants you?" she asked as if the term was foreign. I nodded with my lips pressed together.

"He said he wanted me and that I was different and I know I am, but the way that he is around me—"

"So what you've been saying is...there's something far more than just your fling with Hayden?" she asked, taking it offensive that I hadn't told her. It's not like I had a choice.

"Yes," I admitted. "The Proliator...he's just on my mind all the time and even when I'm broken he's there and he's just...amazing."

"But...?"

"But...he's the Proliator," I sighed. She waited for a clarification. "That means that we can't be together—I don't even know why I'm over thinking it in the first place..."

"You can't be with him, Ang," she said with wide eyes.

"I know..."

"It's dangerous and you don't know who he is and—you know?" she asked.

"Yes, I know," I sighed. But I knew now that I wanted to be. When I get back to New York, I know what will happen. "So now, I have to make a choice about him and Hayden and your brother—"

"Well one decision sort of depends on the other, don't you think?" she asked. I guess she was right. If Kenneth and I decided not to be together, Hayden and I would be. Thus, resulting in mine and Proliator's discontinued relationship. But if Kenneth and I were officially together, Hayden and I wouldn't be...but still where would that leave me and the Proliator if Kenneth said me to live my life in Manhattan? Mickie's words rang through my head. 

"I guess so," I sighed. I saw her bite her lip as if she had something to say. "What is it?"

"No matter what happens with my brother, we'll still be best friends right?" she asked in a small voice.

"No, of course not," I stated. "We're sisters."

She smiled and then threw the pillow at my face and told me to go back to sleep.

However, that's when my brain decided it wanted to do some thorough thinking. I didn't have another Proliator dream because I couldn't really fall asleep. However, I still remembered every part of my dream previous to mine and Kylie's conversation, as if I lived it.

***

"Angela?"

"What?" I snapped. I wasn't mad or frustrated, but...anxious. The time I wanted to spend with Kenneth was wanted more than anything at this point and as we sat here thirty minutes after rehearsal should've started, Kenneth still wasn't here.

"Can you go run back to the house and see if Kenneth is finally ready?" Veronica asked, tossing me the keys to the truck. Immediately, like some psycho girl, I got in the car and drove back to the Bergen house. I noticed a car there, but assumed it to be Louis'. I opened the door to the main house and jogged up the stairs to Kenneth's room. I heard him talking to someone.

"I'm already late..." he sighed. "I spend way too much time with you."

"Well I hope it's not only me that wants to spend more time than that," I heard a girl's country-stricken accent say. I ran through all the voices I had grown up with and stopped at a possibility.

"You know that I can't," Kenneth whispered after a brief silence. The girl scoffed pathetically and forced a laugh.

"She got here last night, Kenny," the girl reminded with a louder voice. "That means you had an option to tell her but you—"

"—were busy last night with you," he finished. That crushed my heart. Even though he was basically saying that he couldn't be with her because of me, it hurt that he was with her last night. I quietly made my way down the hall and purposely walked heavily so they knew I was coming.

"Kenneth, Veronica wants you to—" I started to say as if this was the first time I got here. I stepped in his room and saw that they weren't pressed together as I thought. He was contorting his gold tie in the mirror while the girl, Jaime Macmillan, was sitting on his bed. Of course I knew who she was. She was a gorgeous and smart girl that was in her first year of college, an hour away. As soon as Kenneth saw me, his face lightened and he smiled widely. I nearly returned it, if Jaime wasn't sitting there.

"Hey, Angela," she smiled. She started to stand up, remorse not once slipping into her face. "I guess this is his final warning to get to rehearsal. I'll catch you later. Nice seeing you again, Ang."

"You too," I said as she brushed past me. I looked over to Kenneth and his smile had fallen. He already knows what's about to happen. "Well Jaime looks well."

"Yeah...she started coming back here when her old man was in and out of the hospital," he informed, walking over to me. He wrapped his arm around my waist and kissed my cheek as if nothing was wrong. "How was your flight?"

"Better than yours was, I must say," I commented. He smirked, but I still couldn't return the favor.

"So how much has Veronica been stressing about this wedding?" he asked in a laugh as he grabbed his coat and started to make his way out of the door.

"I don't really know," I shrugged. "I've been sort of busy."

With journalism Hayden and Dastan and Cheyenne and now Mickie—oh; and let's not forget the Proliator. Not that Kenneth talked to me enough to know all of that.

"I heard," he commented after we had filled the distance to the front door with silence. He took the keys from me and hopped in the truck that rightfully belonged to him and opened the passenger side door for me. Of course I was stressing and thinking of a million different ways I could start this conversation about us. I opened my mouth to turn and speak to him once we were both settled in the truck, but he didn't start the engine. He just sat with his hands on the steering wheel.

"We can talk when this rehearsal is over," he promised. I nodded and then he started the truck and drove off.