Chapter Six-"Hayden the Heartthrob"

"Hayden Marshal?" Cheyenne asked for clarification. I nodded. "I'm gonna have to say, that's pretty out of the ordinary."

"What's out of the ordinary?" Nik suddenly asked, appearing at the pep rally with us on Friday morning.

"Hayden walked me home yesterday," I informed. Nik's jaw tightened.

"Why?"

"I don't know? He wanted to give me a ride, but neither I, nor Dastan wanted that, so it somehow compromised into a walk—"

"Wait, Vega was there?"

"He waited up for Mickie after detention..."

"Why would he do that?" Nik frowned.

"Well aren't they going out?" I asked.

"It makes sense," Cheyenne commented.

"Mickie and Vega have never gone out," Nik scoffed pathetically. That made absolutely no sense. They were all over each other—wait. But now that I think about it, she was always over him. I hadn't ever seen them kiss or hug...she just played at his belt loops and subjected herself to his orders. So then her bullying me with him enhancing it, made no sense.

"Warden!" I heard my name being called. I looked down to see Dastan on the foot of the bleachers with a camera in hand.

"I guess I'll see you later, guys," I told Nik and Cheyenne.

"Have fun..." Cheyenne wished.

Yeah right.

"You wanted to do something for this article, right?" Dastan asked.

"Yeah..."

"Then get off your godd4mn ass and stop talking to Nik the Dick so we can get this shit done and over with," he snapped, handing me the camera. I stared at him, completely fearing him all because no man had ever spoken to me that way. He stepped away from me and I let go of the breath I had held.

In Frankford, I had never been afraid of anything—not anyone, but since I've been here, Dastan was the only guy that I've ever managed to fear.

After the initial shock and terror of him cussing demands at me, I started to take pictures of the pep rally: cheerleaders and dancers forgetting sequences, freshmen pep squad members screaming their heads off, band members clearly switching instruments, and then I looked through the lens and landed on a familiar face smiling at me--Hayden.

He sat in the front row of the varsity football players in his red and gold uniform and I had to do a double-take before realizing he was truly looking at me. When I realized it, I took a picture of him, but he still looked at me briefly before hitting me with a funny face. I slightly giggled and returned the face, only for him to stick out his tongue long enough for me to snap a picture of that and then he unexpectedly got up from his chair and sprinted over to me in order to throw me over his shoulder.

"Hayden!" I laughed, bouncing as he ran out of the gym and towards the stadium. He sat me down and my face was probably as red as tomatoes. When he set me down, I hadn't noticed that the camera was no longer in my hand, but being held three feet above my head. Then I got serious. "That's Dastan's camera."

"So what?"

"He's going to kill me," I reasoned.

"Blame it on me and he won't," he shrugged, the smile remaining on his attractive face. I realized that my body was pressed to his, still, so I pulled away and looked around with crossed arms. Hayden retracted the camera and pulled me close to him with his free hand. "Aren't you supposed to be writing an article on social life?"