Chapter FortyFive-"A Clear Response."

"I can't use her," Dastan immediately said as he sat across from me. I attempted to stand up with that verbal slap in the face, but Con held me down and froze there.

"You have to try," Mr. Wilde insisted. Dastan threw his hands down on the table and it snapped in half. As much as I wanted to be taken back by the strength, I was more impressed at how he held back that much strength so easily around everyone most of the time.

"I've been trying this entire time!" he roared and then stood to storm out. No matter the fear I felt in every inch of my body, I followed him and grabbed his hand. He jerked out of my touch and spun to face me in rage as if he'd lash out at me, but then his golden eyes softened and he relaxed. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to scare you."

He reached out to grab me once more, but didn't make contact. Instead, he stepped around me and walked back over to the couch, Mr. Wilde studying his every move.

"I feel...better," Dastan expressed.

"It's because of her," Mr. Wilde insisted. Con crossed his arms as Dastan and I took our seats.

"So some random girl just comes and is the exception to all our powers?" Con asked. "That's not possible."

"Why not? That's how your mother was to your father," Mr. Wilde reminded. Both the boys looked down in sorrow. "It's true love, your father said about her...or, more concretely, a specific combination of atoms in contact with each other. He thought there would be at least one occurrence or person for each of you, at any given time, but I never thought she would affect all of you..."

I knew what he was talking about; I was immune to their powers. The love part, was a distant topic to me, though. I hoped that maybe that was Dastan's dad's romantic way of coping with the phenomenon. Right now that seemed like a lot of pressure.

"But then again, Dastan's domain is emotion, so his love will be the strongest," Mr. Wilde added. Dastan's eyes connected to mine and I gave him back nothing but sympathy. "I didn't know that dictated her strength, but I guess so—"

"So what does that mean when my occurrence comes around or even Mateo's?" Con asked. I badly wanted to tell him it was impossible for a girl to love him because he was an ass, but I remembered that Dastan acted like that towards me in the beginning too.

"I don't know," Mr. Wilde shrugged. "It could be completely different since Dastan's circumstances are completely different."

"Can we stop talking about me like I'm not here?" Dastan asked, when it really should be me saying this. He repositioned himself and lifted his chin. "I'm in love and overwhelmed, okay. Why is that so complicated for everyone to accept?"

"Because you put that stupid video on TV that made everything worse," Con hissed. He suddenly turned to me. "Did you even know who he was before that? Did you ever get caught? Better yet, did you ask him to quit?"

"Stop..."

"I only recently put the clues together about who he was and the only person that caught us was my brother," I answered him. "But I didn't ask him to quit..." I looked over to Dastan, who had looked down at the ground. "That's why I went to your house today...to ask you to rethink that decision."

"What?" Con asked. Dastan's eyes flashed up to mine.

"Why? Why would you want that?" he asked me in a harsh tone more than curiosity.

"Because I you shouldn't just be making decisions on my behalf. Plus my brother cared so much about you being a superhero even though—"

"Did you not hear what I told you last night?" he suddenly asked in a hiss, standing up. His eyes darkened from their honey color. "You already called me selfish a number of times, so then why can't you get it through your head that I rather have any kind of relationship with you than one that puts you in that much danger?"