Chapter ThirtySeven-"Trouble in Paradise"

We arrived back at the reception hall and I heard Hayden slam the door behind me. I rolled my eyes.

"Trouble in paradise?" Sebastian laughed once he saw us. He and Hayden had begun to get along throughout the day of set-up, but Sebastian wasn't going to miss an opportunity to tease either of us. 

"Shut it," Hayden demanded from a distance as he joined him to move tables. I tried to hide my smile. If only Hayden realized how much he was overreacting...

He was pissed that I invited Dastan to the wedding and kept questioning me as to why, but the only lie I could come up with was that Jeremy wanted him there. It was true, but that's not entirely why I asked him.

Sebastian would be there. Kylie would be there. Kenneth would be there. Hayden would be there. Nik would be there. Dastan would be there. And most likely Mickie would be there.

All the people involved with the Proliator or any hope to be involved with the Proliator would be there. If something happens—like it's bound to do in a busy city on a Friday night before a major holiday break—one of them will have to leave. Whoever that is, is the Proliator.

Unless I'm going crazy and the Proliator just happens to be a distant cousin of the Vegas, meaning my invites were useless and will result in a brawl including all of them. Shit.

"Angie," Jem addressed from across the room.

"Yeah?"

"Can I tell you something?" he asked. I looked at him, concerned. What was this about? He nodded his head and we stepped into the hall.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm not ready for tomorrow," he said. I pulled him into a hug.

"Just because Veronica's marrying Dad, doesn't mean that it's going to change anything—"

He pulled away from me.

"I'm not sad about Veronica and Dad. Please. She's a cool mom," he informed as if offended that I assumed he had some sort of conflicting emotions. Then what the heck did he need to talk about that was making him squirm with nervousness? I stared at him impatiently. "I...is Vega coming tomorrow?"

"Yes..."

"Oh okay. That's good," he said, walking away from me. I grabbed his arm.

"Why are you asking about Dastan?" I asked with a frown.

"Because we're friends and I need his help," he answered, beginning to walk away from me. I stopped him.

"What help could he possibly offer that I can't?" I inquired, feeling jealousy for the love of my brother.

"A lot of things," he answered, sizing me up as if I was the crazy one.

"Wait, why—how are you even friends with him?" I asked. I knew that he always admired Dastan for some reason, but how could this friendship be serious?

"I go to Sarah's house a lot and he's always there," he shrugged.

"Why would he be...?" Oh right. Sarah is Mickie's sister...and it wouldn't surprise me if Dastan was always over there. "Oh."

"Yeah. He's really smart when he comes to this stuff, but Sarah thinks he's dumb," he continued.

"Why does she say that?" I asked, curiously.

"Because every time Dastan comes over, Mickie starts—"

"We need to go," Hayden interrupted.