01

I walked down the dreaded hallways of Baton Rouge High School, hoping for something to happen that can stop me from coming to this school.

A school shooting? No, I don't want anyone to be harmed.

A fire drill? No, that's too much.

A bomb threat? No, that's unlikely to happen.

'Room 103' I said to myself as I finally made it to my designated classroom.

I gently knocked on the door to be met with a lightskin boy with abnormally large ears.

"Mrs. Peterson, I think we got a new student!" I heard him yell on the other side of the door.

The large wooden door opened to reveal a large classroom made up of predominantly black kids. That kind of put me at ease.

I walked up to the front desk to turn in my form.

"Hi, I'm Venus Rose. I'm new here," I said as I felt all of those eyes burning in the back of my head.

"Alright, I'm Mrs. Peterson. The English II teacher. You go on and have a seat in front of Kelldrick." She pointed to the only empty seat in the entire classroom.

I reluctantly walked to the seat, and I got my notebook out ready to start the day. I only bought a notebook and pencil, considering this is my first time in a public school since forever.

I heard giggles from behind my head. I chose to ignore them. It's normal on the first day of public school,right?

The laughter only got louder, this time making me look back and see the big eared kid laughing at me.

"What's so funny?" I asked him. He only laughed harder.

"That's Yb seat. If he gets here, be prepared to hop yo ass up," he said making the dude beside him laugh.

I rolled my eyes and focused my attention back on the board. This will be a long first day of school.

After about 20 minutes of class, another student came in with very franticly. He walked to the front of the classroom to turn in what I'm guessing is a tardy slip.

"Alright, Gaulden. You're late. Again." He laughed in response, showing his diamond encrusted grills. I looked to my left to see the teenage girls staring at him hungrily.

"My fault,Mrs. Peterson, moms was tripping this morning," he said.

"Mmhmm. Go take ya seat." She turned her attention back to the board.

He made his way towards the back of the classroom to have a seat, but he stopped in front of me. He mugged me, while I just stared at him.

"You in my seat," he said lowly. "Hop up."

"I can't, Mrs. Peterson assigned me this spot." Kelldrick laughed loudly at me.

"Girl ya better hop up," one of the girls said to me as the dude continued staring at me.

"You new here?" He asked me. I nodded in response.

"Since you new here, I'm gonna let that shit slide. But that been my seat since freshman year. Don't get back in it, ya heard?" He said, making the boy in front of me get out of his seat.

"Alright." He flashed a smile at me, and I returned one back.

"Girl you almost died," Kelldrick said.

"Who is that?" I asked him.

"That's Satan," he said, making 'Satan' laugh. "I'm KD, nice to meet you."

"I'm Venus," I said.

This will be a long Sophmore Year. Or whatever it's called.