chapter nine

You spent the evening helping Anakin repair something on his starfighter. What had he called it? An AA indicator? Indexer? An AOA Indexer. That's what it was, you're pretty sure.

Whatever the case, he had crawled into the cockpit of his ship as soon as you had finished eating and began ripping the whole damn thing apart. Hundreds of tiny wires exposed and random lights blinking violently all around him, he seemed more at home than ever among the jumbled chaos. All you had to do was hand him the correct tools, and you'd be out of there in no time, he'd promised.

You should have known better— you were doomed from the start.

"Hand me a torque wrench."

"A what wrench?"

"It's uhh... round on the top."

You sifted through the huge box of tools he had dropped in front of you and chose one at random. "This one?"

"The one right next to it actually."

You handed it to him, cheeks burning in embarrassment, awaiting his next request.

"Spud wrench."

"You're gonna have to give me more than that."

"Looks like a regular wrench but it's pointed on the bottom."

You found the spiked tool and delivered it to him.

"Okay, a TP3 screwdriver now. It's got a rounded triangle on the end."

Again, the mad search began. He was waiting on you which made it all the more difficult and panic-inducing. Soon, you retrieved the right one and handed it to him.

"A rounded triangle, this is a TA driver," he handed it right back.

A fucking what?

Digging some more, you came up with a screw driver that had a fat grip and rounded triangle indent.

"Good," he praised, and ducked back into the cockpit.

You handed so many tools to him, starting to get the hang of it after a while, or so you thought. The pliers, knives, and spanners were easy enough, but then he started pulling out terms like "nylon insert jam lock nut," and "four millimeter socket screw" which required its own "allen wrench." Who knew there were so many damn wrenches?

Thankfully, Artoo wandered his way over and began subtly pointing things out to you with his utility arm. You thanked him over and over again with your eyes, silently promising you'd give him the best oil bath of his life when you got the chance.

Soon, Artoo took over completely which you weren't even mad about because it meant you got to sit on the wing of the ship and watch Anakin work. He kept moving from the cockpit to the nose of the ship, checking some sort of port underneath and following the wires up so that they met with the correct ones on the indexer. It was slightly amusing, all the ways he'd hang off the cockpit, drape himself over the wings, and fall onto his back beneath it to get just the right angles.

You were starting to notice that everything he did, he did with 110% effort.

You were especially captivated by the way he was currently using some sort of metal contraption to yank a screw tight, his muscles bunching and straining under his shirt as he wrenched the tool back and forth.

"Does that look secure to you?" He jiggled the box he had just been installing on the control panel.

"Could be a little tighter," you answered innocently. He began using the metal wrench tool thingy again, and you were effectively drooling at this point.