chapter thirty

Seeing her again was like being transported into another life.

In a sense, you guessed, that's exactly what it was. You hadn't seen her face to face like this since she told you she "needed space", as she hadn't been with rest of the girls when they confronted you at the hospital.

Now approaching her with Anakin at your side, your eyes narrowed in on her slicked back hairstyle. She looked beautiful, as always, so put together and yet dazzling in her appearance.

The bridge seemed to narrow to just the two of you as she turned from talking to Rex, and locked eyes with you.

You wanted to punch her in the face.

"You don't want to do that," Anakin warned, looking down at you. You raised an eyebrow.

"How did you--?"

"I can feel your anger. And your hands," he motioned toward your clenched fists. "You make it obvious."

"Good. It'll give her time to prepare herself."

"Y/n," normally he would have laughed, but not this time. "She could end your whole career."

"Worth it."

"No," he pulled you to stop halfway across the bridge, stern. "I mean it. You could get thrown out of the temple, out of Coruscant even, and never be able to find another job in any neighboring galaxies if she so pleases. We'd never be able to see each other again. Don't let your anger get in the way of rational thinking."

Funny, coming from you, you wanted to say, but it sounded a little too mean in your head. You only meant it in an ironic way anyway, so you kept your mouth shut and just nodded firmly. He seemed to relax, leaning back again.

"Okay. Let's go."

You were still a little annoyed that he failed to mention Padmé would be hitching a ride on the Resolute to the planet Sypris after her diplomacy mission on another nearby planet. Anakin's flagship was the closest military transport to her, and she had to dock with her personal ship for safe passage through a renowned Separatist territory.

Then again, that was probably the last thing on his mind after you woke up, so it sort of made sense why he didn't say anything.

"Senator Amidala," he greeted smoothly when you reached her. You were still trying to figure out why you were even here, when you could be off in some random room hiding. But Anakin didn't want you to hide. "I'm glad to see you made it safely."

Padmé smiled, perfectly polite to an outsider, but you knew her too well. The little twitch by her eyebrow and the thin stretch of her top lip-- it was strained, as her eyes flicked between you and Anakin.

"Master Skywalker," she greeted. "Y/n. It's a pleasure to see you both."

You couldn't bring yourself to smile.

"Y/n's here to see if any of your crew needs any medical assistance," he moved swiftly on. "And Rex here should be showing you to your quarters."

"Yes, my crew is fine, and Rex was just about to take me. Although, I think I'd like Y/n's company instead." She looked at you with the warmth of a sunny day, golden eyes softening as they took in your appearance.

Both of you stiffened at this.

"Are you hurt?" you finally spoke, and she shook her head.

"I merely wanted to catch up, is all."

Catch up? Catch up? As if she wasn't the one to push you away in the first place.

You grit your teeth and flexed your fingers.