chapter ten

The next morning, you were surprised to find yourself blearily blinking your eyes open. Had you slept—?

How had that happened?

A few fragmented memories came back to you slowly. Pinta noting to Rico how malnourished you were, then Rico holding you down so Pinta could shove a horrifying amount of jello down your throat, then Pinta giving you more pain meds and sleep drugs so that you would stop cussing them out for breaking your heart. That last part was directed at your hallucinations, of course, but it still humiliated you to no end when you remembered.

You were still throwing up every so often, but much less often than a couple days ago. It seemed like whatever you had been poisoned with was slowly leaving your system.

Obi-Wan also came back with new clothes and information. He called Anakin on his com so he could be informed too, and just the sound of his voice through the crackly transmitter brought an unnatural feeling of comfort to you.

"Let's go over what I found," Obi-Wan began. "The living window was unlocked, but closed. Does that seem odd to you, Y/n?"

"I lock all the windows usually," you croaked from the bed. You sounded awful, and you're sure you looked worse. "I came in that night to see the curtain pulled open, too. I thought I just forgot to shut them."

"What else do you remember?"

"Dunno."

"Did you eat anything? Drink anything? There were dishes in your sink."

"Yeah, I had some water." There was a sinking feeling in your stomach as you remembered. "There— there was a cup I didn't remember getting out. It already had water in it."

"Did you drink it?"

"I poured it out and then refilled it."

"That was most likely it, then," Obi-Wan muttered. "They must have snuck in through the living room window, left a cup out with the toxin in it, and then left. You're lucky you poured the water out— if you had drinken that, you'd most likely be dead. But all you got was the residue, so now you're sick."

"Whoopee," you breathed, but inside you were freaking out. Someone had been in your apartment?

"Anakin," Obi-Wan addressed the com clearly. "What did you find out from Padmè?"

The sound of her name caused shivers to wrack your spine, and the thought of Anakin going to talk to her one on one made you want to throw up again. You'd need to get all the details as soon as possible.

"It wasn't her."

"Good. I was going to say, it wouldn't make sense."

"Why?" You asked. If anyone wanted to hurt you, it would be those girls. You kind of just assumed it was them because any other reason would make this a whole lot more complicated. Who else on Coruscant had a vendetta against you?

"I could just make out the signature of another presence in your apartment while I was there. It's not one I recognize, nor one I've ever felt before. Plus, they wouldn't sneak in through your living room window if they have keys to your apartment still. They'd just come in through the front door."

Crap. He was right.

"Has anyone been in your apartment other than them?"

"Just you and Anakin and Ahsoka."

"Any delivery guys? Package orders? Boyfriend or girlfriend?"

"No."

"It's unfortunate you say that. I checked the security cameras and the ones outside your apartment and in your hallway have been offline for weeks. The building blames maintenance for faulty electrical wires."