chapter seventeen

Anakin was up at the ass crack of dawn. You could barely open your eyes, much less comprehend what he was saying as he tried to shake you awake. You rubbed your face with one hand, rolling over and telling him to go away before realizing what day it is.

"Shit. Am I late?" you shot up in bed, looking at the window and realizing it was still dark out. "What time is it?"

"Time to go," he said, and smoothed down a piece of hair in the back of your head. His gentle touch, however innocent it may have been, sent tingles shooting down your spine and you could feel the phantom of his fingers linger long after he pulled them away.

His words took a moment to sink in. You scanned his body and realized he was already decked out in his Jedi garbs, complete with a dark, billowing robe settled over his shoulders; evidence that he must have gotten ready while you were sleeping. This realization slammed you with anxiety, pushing you to action.

"I'll only be 5 minutes," you grabbed your bag, stumbling for the bathroom but he grabbed your shoulders and steadied you before you could pass him.

"Relax. You've got time."

You didn't. If anything, the clock said you should already be heading down to the hangar by now.

"We're late."

"Did you forget?" He cocked an eyebrow. "I'm their General. I arrive when I want."

"Classy," you rolled your eyes, ducking out of his arms to go into the bathroom. "And arrogant," you called as you stripped your clothes off in one fluid motion, reaching into the bag Rico packed for you what seemed like a lifetime ago, but really it had only been a few days.

You clasped your com around your wrist first, then got to work on the jumpsuit. Your uniform was red and with white details sewn onto the cuffs, and around the collar, and even had a place outlined for where your badge was to go. Your stomach lurched in fear as your hands froze on the empty square. Where had you put the badge?

A quick dig through the pockets of your hospital clothes proved to be fruitless. And you couldn't even remember far enough back to know where it had gone among the events of you getting sick and leaving your apartment in a rush and then coming here and going out with Sabè and then...

Yeah. It was as good as gone by now.

Your palms grew clammy as you pulled the zipper all the way up in the back, then balled up your clothes and shoved them in the bag and walked out to face Anakin, ashamed.

Before you could admit your carelessness and stupidness, he smirked at you from his place leaning against the wall. "Cute, but you're missing something."

And then he retrieved the small badge from his pocket, glinting blue and silver in the low light. You instantly melted in relief, moving toward him to take it.

"Thank god, I thought I lost it," you admitted. You froze when you were close enough that he could tug the top of your uniform toward him slightly, so that he could lock the badge in place himself.

"No worries. I grabbed it from your clothes before they could change you into those awful hospital ones. You're lucky I'm so perceptive," he smiled teasingly, his fingers deft and quick as they worked, and his face shockingly gorgeous in the dim orange light. It softened his features and made his eyes sparkle, and you're not really sure how your heart was still beating as he smoothed his hands down your arms, chasing away the morning chill and any anxious jitters. "You nervous?"

"Yes."

"Don't be. You'll be by my side the entire time."

"But my team—" you were supposed to meet them at the hangars.