chapter twelve

You're not quite sure what you expected when Anakin told you he would be your 'bodyguard' for the next couple days. Previously, you had imagined yourself running off and getting into trouble and him being all worried and protective as he chased after you. But that's certainly not what was happening now, especially with you being sick in bed and barely able to go 4 hours without puking your guts up.

The whole day consisted of you falling in and out of consciousness, Anakin sitting on the chair by your bedside and reading something on a datapad, and getting up to refill your water occasionally.

The only times you would get up were to 1) pee, 2) throw up, in which case you made sure to lock the bathroom really loud so he couldn't follow you inside, or 3) test to see how weak your muscles were doing or if you were getting any better.

You were.

Slowly but surely, as the sun was setting on the day before your deployment, you weren't throwing up anymore and you could stomach a little bit of food. Your legs were still shaky and you had to move slow, but you could walk around a little bit. You didn't care how shit you felt, as long as you could function well enough for your first mission on the battlefield in the coming days.

You were getting ready to brave another sleepless night, squishing your pillows into a more comfortable consistency and sneaking another glance at Anakin, who had only offered the bare minimum curt responses or questions since the awkward reveal that you knew his secret. He still looked bothered, but not pissed like you'd originally thought. More of a quiet, brooding face that was disguised by his excuse of "needing to go over battle formations" so that you didn't have to talk.

That silence was interrupted by a sharp, quick knock.

Your eyes met each other across the room, both silently asking if the other was expecting someone, but you just shook your head. Anakin moved to the door first, fingers pausing on the handle.

"It's Sabè," he looked at you hesitantly. Your body froze. "Should I let her in?"

Your first thought was no. Obviously not. You weren't expecting to hear from any of the girls ever again, much less Sabè. What could she, out of all of them, possibly want?

She was always a little quieter than the rest, polite like Padmè but quick to jump into any arguments or debates when she felt passionate enough. Still, she acted like she was only friends with everyone because Padmè was, and her little lap-dog act only became more apparent as you had been mulling your relationship with each of them over in your brain these past couple weeks.

That being said, you and Sabè had never been the closest, but you enjoyed the nice, calm, and quiet moments in her presence. And although you spoke the least frequently out of all the girls, she was the first one who inquired about your life on Noxella, and the one who promised a genuine friendship right after. She was so welcoming and made you feel so accepted in the group, which was why the fact that she was the one who acted like she didn't know you that day in the Temple hurt you so damn bad.

But... like you said. Sabè was Padmè's little lapdog, and she was taking a risk by coming here to see you. Whatever it was she had to say, you were definitely intrigued.

"You can open the door," you told Anakin. Reading your words carefully, he pulled the handle but stepped in the way so that Sabè couldn't enter. You remained by the bed as she was revealed to you, her shorter frame looking up at Anakin, taken aback for a moment before finding you under his arm.

"Good evening, Master Skywalker. I'm here to talk to Y/n."

Simple and straightforward, as expected.