Connie 4

As I exit the elevator I immediately notice the hushed whispers that erupt at the sight of me. I nod and smile hello at those brave enough to face me head on, hoping that the Crystal Clear employees I encounter are talking about me because I rarely make an appearance on this floor. Not because they've all somehow found out that my finally ex-boyfriend let the barracuda of Crystal Clear suck his dick last night while at a cocktail party. In a hallway. By the bathrooms. At a party he was attending with his girlfriend.

Sucking his dick.

I'm not usually one to say such... lewd terms but I've decided to call it what it was. Lapis was sucking Kevin's dick at the cocktail party. And it had nothing to do with me. Except for the fact I let him continuously cheat on me because I wanted to be polite. Well, I'm sick of it. Kevin is a despicable human being who's cheated on me for the very last time. Part of me wants to have his car towed, burn his house down, seek revenge but I'm not that far gone yet. Not yet.

I douse the sudden flame of anger in my stomach as I pass the receptionist and smile. She waves and returns to her paperwork casually, not seeming to have heard the hottest gossip.

I woke up this morning determined to talk to Steven, though Stevonnie had suggested I do it over email. I figured talking to him in person would be most effective, and the last thing I need is for that email to be forwarded to someone on accident and rub salt in the wound.

I'm even wearing my silken red dress today to give me the extra push of confidence I need. It's stark against my cocoa skin and makes me feel sexy. It's vivid and eye catching-purposely chosen because I feel so bold wearing it.

I slow down to a stop in front of Stevens partially closed office door. Trying to gather up courage, I straighten my shoulders and knock gently, peeking my head into his office. "May I come in?"

Steven Universe sits at his desk, looking intensely at a pile of papers. His expression is fierce and calculating. He looks up at me, looking mildly irritated to be taken from his work, but then the ice melts and he smiles slowly. My face warms at his obvious delight to see me and I smile back.

"Connie. What a pleasant surprise." He rises to his full height and waves a hand at me. "Close the door."

"Oh." I glance back at the door and then at him. Part of me wants to obey him, but another part is cautious and suspicious. "I- I don't think this will take long..." I turn towards the door and press my hands on it, trying to convince myself I'm not sealing my own trap.

"But you want privacy, I assume?" His delectably deep voice washes over me and I repress the shiver that wants to overtake me at his words. He can make "privacy" sound like a dirty sexual act he wants to perform on me and me alone. I glance over my shoulder to find his head tilted, his gaze locked on my backside. "Shut the door, Connie."

His demand tells me I shouldn't argue, so I don't. I push to the door, and the firm click sounds loud in the otherwise silent room, indicating I'm alone with him. There are no exposed glass windows on this floor. Everything's encased and closed off, so no one knows I'm in this office by myself with Steven. Excitement buzzes along my skin like a shock wave and I tell myself this is no big deal. It's just Steven.

But I can't help but feel as if this is so much more than it is. The way he's looking at me with those dark, almost black eyes makes me chew my lip nervously. I feel like I'm in the principal's office, and the principal is going to teach me a lesson.

"So what brings you to my neck of the woods?" His tone is casual as his eyes roam less than casually over my entire body.

I swallow and collect my thoughts. "I'm asking you to not share the details of last night. With anyone."