Connie 2

Get over it, Connie. Be brave. You can go on without him. Besides, this is a perfect opportunity to leave him. Hasn't he cause you enough pain? This is temporary. It's not like he broke up with you. All sorts of couples manage through a long-distance relationship.

At least, that's what I tell myself as I stare at my tear stained face in the bathroom.

Long distance relationships do work, if you put enough effort into it. And there is no one as determined as I am. Kevin just... loves me in his own special way. He needs me, but he also needs to do this to further his career. Otherwise, he'll resent me forever.

Taking a deep breath, I leave the restrooms in a frenzy, still trying to convince myself that things would work out, when I stop in my tracks. Ahead of me, I see a man standing in the darkened hallway, almost as if he was waiting for me. His face is in shadows but I recognize his build, the way he holds himself. Calculating, with that arrogant tilt of his head and those incredibly broad sexy shoulders.

It's Steven Universe.

Ugh. I mentally groan in disgust and adjust my purse as I walk towards him.

"Well, well, well. Connie Mahaswaren, right?How are you this evening?" His rumbly deep voice washes over me as he steps out of the shadows, sexy and handsome as sin.

I take a step back, trying to get my personal space to myself but he invades it anyway. "Mr. Universe," I say politely, not daring to call him by his first name. That would imply I like him him, or at the very least know him in some way.

Which I don't. At all.

There's something about his aura. The way he holds himself. He knows he's a catch, I'm sure of it. Women at the office would die to get a moment like this with Steven. He demands attention without saying a word, and there's an air of danger that surrounds him, that ensnares me despite my reluctance to be near him. The carnality that he represents ... it scares me.

He scares me.

"I've worked at Crystal Clear long enough for you to call me Steven, don't you think?" He pauses for a heavy beat and the air seems to fill with electricity as I wait for him to speak. "You don't mind that I call you Connie, do you?"

He somehow makes my name sound like a sexual promise. I bite the inside of my lip and fidget with the strap of my purse. I take a step back and my butt hits the wall. He smiles, and I know he knows I've realized I'm trapped. "Of...course you can call me Connie," I say, thankful my voice isn't shaking. I have no idea what to say to him, how to act. It seems as if the mere presence of this man turns all of my common sense to jelly. "Uhm..." I cough out a question before the blush can over take my face. "Did you...have a nice dinner?"

His face lights up a bit. "Why yes, I did, thank you for asking. The view was spectacular." His gaze slides down the length of me, taking me all in. My breasts, my stomach, my hips, my legs, lingering on my feet before moving back up, his gaze once more on mine. "The food was good, too."

I swallow hard. It's the way he looks at me, his gaze so hungry, like he wants to devour me. His mention of the view is in reference to me. As if he's somehow attracted to me.

Which is impossible.

I don't believe it for a second. He's just trying to unnerve me with his not-so-subtle flirting. And it's working. I mentally berate myself for falling into his trap.

"How's Kevin?" Steven asks when I still haven't answered.

I jolt, giving myself a little shake. Kevin. I need to remember that my boyfriend Kevin is outside probably waiting for me to come back out. Waiting for me. "Fine," I say as I step away from the wall. But that only brings me closer to Steven, and he doesn't budge. I can smell him. His scent is as dark and alluring as he is. My mouth waters and I clear my throat. "I should go. He's waiting-"