Connie 6.5

My heart starts pounding. Not here, not now. We've migrated to a more private space but people are going to notice when someone gets down on one knee. "Kevin, get up." I feel bile rising in my throat, I want to throw up all over him.

As usual, Kevin ignores what I say. Heaven forbid he should listen to what I want. "Don't let it end like this, Connie. We need each other. I need you more than you'll ever know," he implores, pulling out a red velvety box and opening it to expose one of the most expensive looking rings I've ever seen in my life. It's gotta be something of a 50-carat because holy shit.

Weeks ago, this was all I wanted. Now all I wanted was for him to fuck off.

"No, you need me so you can get ahead in the company. You seem to do a fine job of it all on your own. You think I didn't notice you sucking up to my father for the potential promotion?" I tell myself to keep my patience. I don't want to start an argument. Not that Kevin and I ever argued. We're too polite for that.

"I deserve that. You're right. I've behaved badly during our relationship and for that, I'm sorry. I'm sure you think I've-used you. I regret many of the choices I've made, Connie, but I've never regretted you. I love you, Connie Mahaswaren. I really do. You make me so happy and I can't stand being away from you. Please, can't you give me another chance? I know I messed up. I was just so angry that you were always so consumed with your work, even when I told you that I'm leaving you for the promotion in a few weeks."

I gape at him. I always made time for him. Always.

"And then you started spending time with Universe character. It threw me. I didn't know what you were up to. I got jealous." He runs a hand through his hair, then immediately pushes it back into place. "Lapis filled my head with a bunch of lies and I overreacted."

A bunch of lies? What could she have told him? "Overreacted how? By letting her put her mouth on your penis?"

He looks shocked. Good. I'm feeling a little shocked by this entire conversation, too. And for gods sake I wanted him to get up, at this point people were starting to glance over and I didn't dare look at them for fear I'd puke. "What I did with her doesn't matter. I love you. I don't want to lose you."

This is the last thing I need to deal with tonight. "It's over, Kevin. I don't know why you think otherwise or why you believe you can change my mind. No means no, Kevin. You need to get up." I tell him firmly.

"You can't just cut me off. We have a history. A shared past together. We planned on running this company someday, side by side. What about those plans?" he asks indignantly thrusting the box at me.

"They're over. You ruined them a long time ago." I start to walk away but his hand darts out, grabbing mine and stopping me.

"Don't be such a prude." He yanks me toward him so hard my arm throbs with pain. I try to pull away but he holds on tighter. I'm suddenly feeling scared, like he's going to hurt me.

"Kevin let go." He stands and I shrink away a little as he puts his face in mine. "We belong together, Connie. You know this." His tone is low and downright menacing. I can almost believe he's threatening me.

"Let her go, Johnson."

We both turn at the same time to find Steven standing there, watching us with a furious scowl marring his otherwise handsome face, his legs braced wide apart and his hands stuffed inside his trouser pockets. His posture reeks of regal dominance and I find my heart racing at seeing the fierce way he's staring down Kevin, his hair a delicious curly mess and that cold, dark stare.

"Get the fuck out of here," Kevin snarls, his teeth clenched. I gasp at his choice of words. This is a man who rarely says anything crude. "We're having a private discussion."