Chapter 36

You still have some time to ask your questions to Marylinde (or other drivers)! Don't forget to send in those you really want to have answered. She won't have the chance to say nothing. 

Pierre walked around the paddock. It was Saturday afternoon and Marylinde was about to race. He was nervous for her, she had been acting off since the Red Bull challenge and Pierre had tried to reach out on several occasions but Marylinde had been able to dodge him or get away from him with excuses, so Pierre had decided to take a step back. Maybe she regretted the words she spoke in the kitchen, the morning after their date. Maybe the pressure of the rumours between them was too much for her.

He watched as the formula two cars drove around the track for their formation lap before lining up on the grid.

"What is up mate?" Charles sat down beside Pierre who was staring intensely at his phone. "What are you watching?" Pierre turned the screen so Charles could watch along as Marylinde shot away from seventh on the grid. She quickly made up three places into the drive up to turn one and into turn one itself, putting her in fourth position. Pierre silently cheered, making Charles smile.

He knew Pierre probably better than anyone on the grid – well, Pyry possibly knew him better but further no one else came even close – and he watched Pierre fall in love with the young Dane.

"Why don't you invite her over for a dinner at my place soon? When we are all in Italy?" Pierre's smile dropped.

"I think it is better for me to take a step back." He watched as Marylinde made another move. "She's been avoiding me. I think it is the rumours. I don't want to put her under any more pressure than she already is." Charles saw Pierre's shoulders drop in defeat and placed a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"I'm sure it is fine. She might just be on her period or something. Don't give up so easily. You always knew she was going to be a tough one to love." Charles winked and Pierre nodded. Marylinde was a tough one to love, especially since she wouldn't show much of what was going on inside her head. She didn't show when something was going on until it would get too much and then she would lock everyone out. "Nice qualifying today by the way. Too bad I just about missed out on beating you." Pierre started to grin.

"As if you ever stood a chance."

"Who beat who last time around?"

"That was pure luck, I got driven off the track." Charles huffed.

"Whatever." From where the two were sitting the screeching of tires could be heard and both Charles' as Pierre's eyes shot towards the phone which showed the race had been red-flagged.

"Are you okay?" The radio sounded through the speaker on Pierre's phone as both of the young men felt their hearts beating in their throats. "Are you okay Mary?" It remained silent as both Pierre and Charles started to fear for the worst. They had both experienced how dangerous their sport could be.

"Just get me out of this flipping car." It suddenly sounded. Marylinde wasn't impressed with whatever had happened. Her car was hanging upside down as Pierre and Charles looked at the replay. Nikita Mazepin braked late into the final corner missed the breaking point, put his nose under the side of Marylinde's car and flipped her on her side against the boarding.

"Come on guys! I am stuck! Get me the fuck out of here!" Marylinde sat in the car, hanging sideways as tears were already blurring her vision. She was in second position after only four laps and was close behind first and second. She was already in front of Mick, who together with Callum was her main rival. This was her chance to change the standings in her favour.

"Get those freaking marshals to hurry the fuck up!" Marylinde was properly pissed off and when the marshals finally got her out of the car, she stormed off without thanking them. She went straight for the Prema trailer, not taking off her helmet and ignoring everyone on her way there. When she closed the door behind her, she let herself down on one of the chairs and took off her helmet as her breathing started to get faster and faster. She tried to calm herself down by trying to slow her breathing down again but it didn't work. She soon found herself having a full-blown panic attack for the first time that year. She had been able to prevent them up until that point but it was too much to prevent this time.