extra chapter: What if?

What if Pierre and Marylinde never got to know each other, as well as they did?

With a racing heart, Marylinde stood at the entrance of the Prema factory. For the last time that season, she would be walking through the front door of the headquarters. For the final day of her career, she would be able to call herself a Prema team member.

It was strange, saying goodbye to such a large part of her life. She would no longer be the girl who was trying to reach formula one, but she would have made it as one of the very few.

"Excited?" Arthur hooked his arm through his housemate's.

"No," Marylinde admitted. "But I am ready. As ready as I will ever be at least."

"Come on, you have a bright future ahead. Anyone can see that."

"Even I can." Marylinde joked.

"And that is a miracle." They laughed as they entered the factory part of the building. The machinery and instruments had been cleared away for the annual Prema party. It wasn't the first one Marylinde attended and she hoped it wouldn't be her last. The Prema parties were some of her favourite moments of the year. They stood for the celebrations of the season, the friendships created over the year and the hard work that had paid off, resulting in a well-deserved holiday.

"Have you seen Mick around?" Marylinde asked as she looked around. She couldn't see him anywhere.

"No, and he left before me even." Marylinde bit the inside of her lip. Where could he have gone?

"That explains why I couldn't find him, mister Sherlock Holmes. If I remember correctly, I arrived at the party on my own. Where did Gianluca go?" Marylinde asked, she was sure Arthur and Gianluca had spent the afternoon doing whatever and they would be arriving together.

"You were too far in your thoughts to even see him walk by, you were just staring at the door." Marylinde sheepishly chuckled.

"I guess I was overthinking things."

"What else is new." Marylinde shoved Arthur aside but laughed nonetheless. "Do you want a drink?" Marylinde gratefully nodded and watched as Arthur walked away. She greeted some of the mechanics and embraced Angelina tightly.

"Saying your goodbyes already, are you?" Marylinde turned around, relieved to see Mick standing there without a scratch on him.

"You had me worried." She mumbled as she stepped into Mick's embrace. "Where did you go?"

"I had some things to do." Mick grinned as he watched Marylinde's eyebrows furrow together. What on earth could he be up to? "You'll see later." He whispered as he let go of Marylinde to greet some people as well. For him too it was the final time at the headquarters as Mick was moving up to formula one as well.

"Your drink." Arthur handed Marylinde a cup from which she gratefully took a sip. "Gin and tonic." Marylinde grinned and kissed Arthur's cheek as a thank you.

"Reserve those for your boyfriend miss." He laughed. "And to add to that, I have a girlfriend as well. So I am unavailable and unwilling to do anything naughty." Marylinde loudly laughed, catching the attention of some people. She had grown in that season, even more than the usual driver would.

"If you are quick, we could go play some beer pong." Marylinde squealed excitedly and pulled Arthur with her to the table where people were already playing. They cheered them on as they downed one cup of beer after the other.

"Our turn." Marylinde excitedly exclaimed as she claimed one side of the table. Within seconds, Mick was by her side as Gianluca joined Arthur. "Let's win this thing." Marylinde's gin and tonic was set aside – although there already wasn't much left – and she grabbed the first ping pong ball. She aimed it and watched the ball bounce off the edge of a cup. "Come on!" She frustratedly whined. Mick took the second ball and aimed it for the front cup, landing it perfectly in the middle. Marylinde cheered and gave Mick a high-five to celebrate.