The break-up

A/N: honestly, not sure how I feel about this one. I hope you like it, though! Let me know what you thought!

Everything felt kind of weird that week. Glee club wasn't as lively as it used to be - in fact, Winnie wasn't even sure Mr. Schue had given them any kind of assignment that week -, Brittany and Blaine looked kind of down and, to top it off, Winnie had been feeling kind of sick for the past two days. With three younger sisters at home, Winnie had learned that it was better to pull away from everyone whenever she started to show any kind of symptoms - Callie had always been rather prone to get anything her sisters ever got - so, it came almost as instinct for Winnie to try and have lunch by herself and spend her free periods in a secluded area of the library. It wasn't really that hard, actually, considering Mike wasn't around anymore and Tina hadn't properly talked to her in weeks.

Her plan was actually going great, but Marley Rose had seemed determined to change that.

"Hey. I haven't seen you in a while." Marley smiled, moving to sit down on the ground beside Winnie in between two bookshelves, with her back against the wall, much like the older girl was doing.

"Sorry." Winnie smiled back at her, as she turned around to look at her friend. "I just don't feel great."

"Are you sick?"

"Kind of."

"What are you feeling?"

"I don't know... I just feel... Sick." Winnie shrugged. She was very much aware that wasn't a very descriptive answer and that it wouldn't help Marley figure out what she had at all, but Winnie didn't want her to worry. "Might be a stomach bug or something. Frankie had one a few days ago, so I might have caught it."

"Did you have a fever?" Marley frowned.

"No." Winnie shook her head. "Just feel like throwing up all of the time."

"Oh."

"I wasn't avoiding you, by the way." Winnie smiled a little at the way Marley let her eyes travel up and down Winnie's form, clearly worried for her well-being. "I just didn't want you to catch whatever I have."

"Nonsense." Marley shook her head then with a giggle. "I have a great immune system."

"Huh, good for you." Winnie laughed.

"Besides, my mom has the best tea recipes for whenever I do have something." Marley said. "Do you want anything for your stomach? She has a recipe that I swear to you... It's like magic."

"Oh, you really shouldn't worry about this." Winnie shook her head, causing Marley to scoff as she stood up and extended a hand out to Winnie.

"You're my friend, of course I'm gonna worry." Marley said. "Now, come on. I'm gonna ask my mom to make you the tea."

Winnie hesitated for a second then, but when Marley wriggled her fingers in front of her face, she couldn't help but laugh. Winnie grabbed Marley's hand then, allowing the girl to pull her up and walk with her down the hallways of the school toward the back entrance of the kitchen. On the way there, she talked, knowing Winnie wasn't in the mood to chat, but was still willing to listen.

"I think I'm kind of really liking Jake, you know?" Marley was saying. "And I know I need to be careful and he does have a girlfriend, but he's just... He's just so charming."

"The charming ones are the worst..." Winnie rolled her eyes. "Trust me. You do know I went to dinner with him, don't you? I mean... Before I knew you were into him. And before he started dating that Cheerio girl."

"I know." Marley nodded. "And how was it?"

"Okay." Winnie shrugged. "I've been on worse dates before. He's... He's nice, actually. Pretty smart too, if given the chance. And he's funny. But you're right. He's a charmer. And a looker. And a Puckerman. So I guess you know what that means..."