The role you were born to play

Winnie had just finished writing down her name in the audition paper when she heard Sam and Blaine approaching. Winnie had considered walking away from the two of them and pretend to not hear them if they called out her name, but they were too close and it would have looked too suspicious, so she didn't. Instead, she just smiled a little when they greeted her, passing over the pen to Sam when he extended a hand out to her.

"Are you auditioning?" He asked - it was a stupid question, with an obvious answer, considering Winnie's name was written in the paper right in front of his eyes. Sam half-expected Winnie to smirk a little and offer him a sarcastic answer, but he was pleasantly surprised when, instead, she just nodded her head, a little too quiet for his liking. "What for?"

"Rizzo." Winnie said.

"Really?" Sam asked, turning to look at Winnie with a smile. "Not Sandy? You'd be a good Sandy."

"I'm not blonde." Winnie said, as Sam shrugged.

"You're our best female singer right now, in my opinion." He said, causing Winnie to sigh a little, too used to his little flirty ways by now. "You'd be a good Sandy."

"Thanks." Winnie shrugged. "I'm trying for Rizzo, though. I kind of relate to her. In more ways than I'd ever thought."

Winnie frowned a little, getting lost in her thoughts for a second, but, quickly noticing the confused looks in both of the boys' faces, she quickly recovered and looked up at Sam again.

"What are you auditioning for?" She asked.

"Kenickie." He smirked, causing Winnie to groan.

"Oh, no, come on..." She rolled her eyes as Sam just chuckled. "I might actually try and go for Sandy now. Are you trying for Danny, Blaine?"

"I, hum... I'm not sure, actually." Blaine said, causing Winnie to frown. She had known Blaine had been a little upset over his break up with Kurt, but not auditioning for the musical? That had to be a new level of depression for Blaine Warbler.

"Hey, man..." Sam said, trying to get Blaine's attention. He seemed to be as distraught as Winnie herself was and, being who he was, of course Sam would try to make the two of them feel better even if he didn't know why they were so upset to begin with. "As president and vice president, we can pretty much decree whichever parts we want, right?"

"I don't think that's how it works, Evans." Winnie commented. "And if you've tried, I'm pretty sure that would be abuse of power."

"Look, I'm not sure I'm gonna do the musical this year." Blaine said. "I'm not in the right headspace to do a project like Grease. Since Kurt and I broke up, I haven't slept, I lost my appetite. I don't even gel this week."

"This is pretty serious, then." Sam joked.

"Sam, Kurt was my soul mate." Blaine said, glaring at his friend, clearly being serious in that moment. "We talked about spending the rest of our lives together. About retiring in Provincetown and buying a lighthouse and starting an artists' colony. And now he won't even return my calls. He won't text me. And that Gilmore Girls box set I sent him was returned to me, unopened. He's gone. Maybe forever."

"Dude, I get it, except for the lighthouse part." Sam said, clearly trying to help out Blaine, who seemed to not be interested in the slightest. "But look, everybody's been there. You'll get through it."

***

"You came!" Winnie squealed, rushing down the hallway as soon as she spotted her best friend standing there.

Mike laughed, watching as Winnie brushed past people to run up to him. He opened his arms and, soon enough, Winnie was crashing into him, her arms wrapping around his waist as Mike squeezed her into his own arms in a tight hug.