Girls (and boys) on film

"Everybody loves movies." Mr. Schue said, as he walked into the choir room. "They don't just tell stories... They transport us to other worlds. They are inspirational. They provide comfort, and they help us escape from our day-to-day anxieties."

"Like getting left at the altar?" Kitty asked, causing everyone to cringe a little.

"Too soon." Ryder mumbled.

"Exactly." Mr. Schue said, grimacing a little. "Or in your guys' case, studying for exams or... Worrying about Regionals. In any case, for this week's assignment, I want you to pick your favorite songs from your favorite movies."

At that, everyone cheered and clapped, pleased with the assignment and already very excited.

"Unique knows all there is to know about The Crying Game." Unique said.

"You don't get dibs on Les Mis just because you are the poster." Kitty said, as she turned to glare at Marley.

"Well, you don't get dibs on Bitch Slap either, even though that's exactly what I want to do to you." Winnie glared at the blonde who scoffed at her and turned around in her chair and away from Winnie.

"Finally I can do my Nicolas Cage impression." Sam cheered, changing his voice a little for the next part of his phrase. "Oh, not the bees! No! The bees! No!"

"That is the worst Nicolas Cage impression I've ever seen." Kitty said.

"Do you even know who Nicolas Cage is?" Artie asked.

"Okay, it's not that simple, guys." Mr. Schue said. "This is a group competition... Boys against girls and we are doing mash-ups. Now remember, movies are visual. So it's not just about the singing... It's about... Performance, it's about theatricality, it's about the language of cinema."

"Preach." Artie said, as he moved his chair toward the middle of the choir room. "And as I move into production on my first micro-budget feature, I'm happy to offer starring roles to whichever team wins. No trailers, no per diem."

"Great." Mr. Schue nodded. "Okay. Well, everyone split up and start working on your song choices."

***

"Guys." Blaine called, as he approached some of the glee kids reunited by Tina's locker with Brittany close behind him. "Brittany and I were just talking..."

"And we agree that though we love that it's mash-up week and that it's girls versus boys, It sucks that the guys and the girls can't do a number together, so we were thinking, just as a warm-up, we should do the guys versus girls in the same number, to kick things off."

"And then the girls can kick the boys' butts." Brittany said, causing Winnie to giggle and lift her hand at her for a high-five.

"Hum, or vice versa." Blaine said.

"Which is my favorite Fred Savage movie." Brittany commented.

"Well, it'd have to be the perfect movie song, you know, like, hum... Dream Warriors from Nightmare on Elm Street 3." Sam said, all excited.

"Yeah, or a good song like Let the River Run from Working Girl." Tina said.

"Or... Wind Beneath My Wings from Beaches."

"No, no, no, no." Blaine shook his head. "How about this... The perfect movie song, totally iconic and everyone loves it, a little ditty from the seminal American college comedy... Animal House."

At that suggestion, everyone nodded, enthusiastically and soon, all the glee kids had gathered around for an impromptu and very energetic performance of The Isley Brothers' Shout.